Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff 7550 Creative Designer Question >

Pfaff 7550 Creative Designer Question

Pfaff 7550 Creative Designer Question

Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM
KLO

Default Pfaff 7550 Creative Designer Question

Hi all, I recently bought a new to me Pfaff 7550 from a friend. I have been wanting a Pfaff with the built-in walking foot/even feed foot and this one came with a nice sturdy table too. Couldn't pass it up!! Anyway, it did not come with the Creative Designer Unit but after reading through the manual, it looks like it could be interesting to have that to use with this machine. So, I wondered if anyone out there has this machine and unit and if so, have they used it or is it just sitting in a closet somewhere because it's not that great a thing? There already appears to be a lot of embroidery designs on the machine but the unit makes it possible to design your own. Thanks if anyone can help. KLO (not JLO, for sure!)
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM

I have the Pfaff 7570 with the embroidery unit. I haven't used the embroidery unit in years. I never seemed to get as interested in it as I thought I would. I don't know about the Creative Designer.

But, you will LOVE your Pfaff and the built-in walking foot.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:33 PM

I have a 7550 with the creative designer unit. It does work and you can make some beautiful new stitches with it. I have an old book put out by Pfaff with some stitch patterns in it. You can check with a Pfaff dealer and ask if the booko is still available. I haven't used it in a long time because I upgraded to a Pfaff 2144 but the Creative Designer adds more to you machine.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
KLO

Thanks AudreyB. That was my one concern ... that I think I am interested but might not use it. And yes, I already love that built-in walking foot! I used it to put binding on a group quilt. It's so much easier that trying to get the walking foot on my Bernina 153. I seem to fumble around for what seems like minutes and then suddenly it's on and I have no idea how I finally did it! Do love the Bernina though.

Thanks also maryb119. I could not find anyone who had that unit or had ever used it. Nice to hear that it does work and can add to you design repertoire. Unless I get more feedback saying it is worthless, I think I will go for it.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM

I have a 7570 that I bought new with all hoops, software and accessories. I used the embroidery unit and software like crazy for the first several years when my kids were little. I don't think I have used the embroidrey unit in 7-8 years.

That being said, I continue to LOVE the machine for all the other great features. The walking foot is probably the top feature, but I also like the needle down feature. When I bought the machine, PFAFF was the only one offering the needle down. I had been using my mom's 2144 and gotten used to using needle down all the time.

Other miscellany:
If your machine didn't come with one, you might want to buy a straight stitch needle plate. It is great for piecing quilts and has standard measurements rather than metric.
There are also 2 different feet for 1/4" seams. I have both, but prefer the one without the guide - it makes it hard to stitch up close to a pin.
There is a stitch that when used with invisible thread and the correct tension, looks like hand quilting (I can email directions if you are interested). I used to do this with baby quilts before my friend gave me her quilting machine and frame.
Have fun. I am happy for you!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
KLO

sew4nin, Thanks for the response. I am hesitant to buy the designer unit because I just don't know if I will use it. I can see where you would use it more with little kids. I keep thinking I should get it and at least try it out. I suppose if I don't want it after that I could sell it separately or it could go with the machine when my husband sells it after I am gone ... assuming of course that I go first?!?!

I also am loving this machine. I need to try it out on piecing because I think it might make my sewing more accurate. Yep, love that built-in walking foot and the needle down position. The only thing I miss on this machine so far is the knee lift for the presser foot. Cannot tell you how many times I have moved my knee over to raise that and there is nothing there but air.

I did get all the standard feet that come with the machine and both the straight stitch needle plate and the zig-zag one. For true 1/4" seams I have found that for my piecing, I need to use a standard width foot and move the needle over a click or two so that the feed dogs are still grabbing all the fabric under the foot, IYKWIM. Well, that is how it works on my Bernina 153 but I have not tried piecing on the 7550 yet so we will see. I have been reading over the manual and thought I saw somewhere that it said there was a stitch that looked like hand quilting but now I cannot find that. (I remember that a Bernina machine had one in the past and someone told me that it took a lot of thread to do this.) I would like to know how to do that though. Maybe you know where it discusses this stitch in the manual? Actually the machine came with the standard manual and three ring binder called the Owner's Handbook. If it is not in the manual, I would greatly appreciate you emailing the directions. And thanks so much for offering!

Again, thanks for all the info. and I do hope to have some fun with this machine,

PS: Love your avatar! I grew up with a pointer. Did you make a dog quilt then? I grew up with a pointer and that's what your avatar looks like to me.
KLO

Last edited by KLO; 04-29-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Default Embroidery Unit Pfaff 7550

Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
I have the Pfaff 7570 with the embroidery unit. I haven't used the embroidery unit in years. I never seemed to get as interested in it as I thought I would. I don't know about the Creative Designer.

But, you will LOVE your Pfaff and the built-in walking foot.
Would you be willin to sell the unit for the Pfaff? I just purchase the machine but would also like the embroidery unit?
T
Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Hi all, I recently bought a new to me Pfaff 7550 from a friend. I have been wanting a Pfaff with the built-in walking foot/even feed foot and this one came with a nice sturdy table too. Couldn't pass it up!! Anyway, it did not come with the Creative Designer Unit but after reading through the manual, it looks like it could be interesting to have that to use with this machine. So, I wondered if anyone out there has this machine and unit and if so, have they used it or is it just sitting in a closet somewhere because it's not that great a thing? There already appears to be a lot of embroidery designs on the machine but the unit makes it possible to design your own. Thanks if anyone can help. KLO (not JLO, for sure!)
I had the 7550 and just loved it. The creative designer unit never came out of the box. I had it for years and never used it. There are so many embroidery machines on the market that would probably do a much better job. The designer is pretty old technology.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM

I bought the Pfaff 7570 years ago and it is still going strong. I use the embroidery unit often. I have been so pleased with this machine. I know you will love your 7550. pat
Old 01-18-2021, 02:21 PM

Nice! Anyone have a Pfaff 7550 that will not sew? Mine turns on like it should but when I push down on the foot pedal .. nothing.I do know it is not the pedal as I plugged it into my other Pfaff 7550 and it works fine. I tchanged out pedals on both machines.. my original machine is making me sad. Lol. Thank you for any clues on the problem. Nana