Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Expression 2.0 >

Pfaff Expression 2.0

Pfaff Expression 2.0

Old 01-26-2016, 06:54 PM

I use my old Bernina 830 record for tough projects. I think these oldies will sew through almost anything. I love my Expression 2.0, but IMO the computer machines can be a little picky about thickness. Quilting a regular quilt with batting is ok, but too many layers and the computer doesn't like it. So far though, I've had no tension issues.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:44 PM

I have an older Pfaff 1473 bought in 1983 and it will sew through the thickest fabric such as denim without any hesitation or trouble. It is picky about thread though and I use Mettler or Gutterman, cheap thread would not work. I still sew on this machine every day, it is a workhorse.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
I have an older Pfaff 1473 bought in 1983 and it will sew through the thickest fabric such as denim without any hesitation or trouble. It is picky about thread though and I use Mettler or Gutterman, cheap thread would not work. I still sew on this machine every day, it is a workhorse.
The difference between your beautiful Pfaff and the Expression 2.0 is your machine was built in Germany and the Expression was made in China. My DH has a beautiful little Pfaff that was made in Germany that sews like a charm.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:40 AM

This machine has a warranty of 20 years and it may be the motor itself that has the problem... The system overload message is to protect the motor from overheating and burning out..I think it's the motor itself..
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM

I have this machine, and I also have had it for 5 years. It works really well almost all of the time, and I really love it. I have had the problem you mention when sewing on thick layers of fabric. It really doesn't like sewing through more than two layers of denim, for example. I simply quit expecting it to do that, although if I really slow down, it will work.

I am not sure about the tension problem. For awhile mine would sort of bind up the top thread, like it was caught on something, and that would mess up the sewing. I guess that could be a tension problem? What I did, and it is probably a big no no, is that I noticed I never had that problem if I was using serger thread. (I had some cones I was trying to use up.) So, I only use serger thread anymore, and I always make sure I use the same thread in the bobbin. It has been years since I had any problems like I did for awhile.

I hope your machine decides to behave itself. It is no fun fighting your machine.

Dina
Old 01-28-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I have this machine, and I also have had it for 5 years. It works really well almost all of the time, and I really love it. I have had the problem you mention when sewing on thick layers of fabric. It really doesn't like sewing through more than two layers of denim, for example. I simply quit expecting it to do that, although if I really slow down, it will work.

I am not sure about the tension problem. For awhile mine would sort of bind up the top thread, like it was caught on something, and that would mess up the sewing. I guess that could be a tension problem? What I did, and it is probably a big no no, is that I noticed I never had that problem if I was using serger thread. (I had some cones I was trying to use up.) So, I only use serger thread anymore, and I always make sure I use the same thread in the bobbin. It has been years since I had any problems like I did for awhile.

I hope your machine decides to behave itself. It is no fun fighting your machine.

Dina
I've noticed is the top thread will get really tight in the thread plates and actually caught on something making me have to rethread the machine. It sounds the same as you. Perhaps there is a warn out plastic piece it is catching on.

What at brand of thread do you use?

Thank you for the sweet wishes.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
This machine has a warranty of 20 years and it may be the motor itself that has the problem... The system overload message is to protect the motor from overheating and burning out..I think it's the motor itself..
A warranty 20 no matter where I buy the machine? I got it used from Boyd Walker in Spokane. It was 2 years old at the time.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Margie07 View Post
I've noticed is the top thread will get really tight in the thread plates and actually caught on something making me have to rethread the machine. It sounds the same as you. Perhaps there is a warn out plastic piece it is catching on.

What at brand of thread do you use?

Thank you for the sweet wishes.
Margie, I use MaxiLock serger thread. I think it is everywhere. I have bought it at Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, and even Walmart. I have been told by experienced quilters that using this thread is a mistake, but my machine likes it. I just finished quilt 103, and I have only been quilting 6 years. So....shhhhh, don't tell anyone what thread I am using.

What you describe is exactly what was happening to me, it was like the thread was getting caught on something. I mentioned that the first two times I took it in for its yearly "physical," but it continued happening. That's when I changed to Serger thread...and, like I said, no more problems. If you give it a try, I hope it works for you too.

Dina
Old 01-28-2016, 06:22 PM

Maybe it is the weight of the thread causing the problem if serger thread solves it. Try Aurifil 50/2 cotton thread. It's thin, strong and of excellent quality (not inexpensive though). You can buy a small spool to try it. Hope you get it sorted.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 PM

I believe "system overload" means the motor is working too hard. So maybe a sharper, bigger needle would do the trick. I know it's hard to get the plastic, drop-in bobbins to sew through the thicker fabrics.