Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Expression 2.0 >

Pfaff Expression 2.0

Pfaff Expression 2.0

Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM

Default Pfaff Expression 2.0

Does anyone who owns one of these have difficulties with the tension on the straight stich and the screen saying "system overload" when sewing on medium to thick layers of fabric? Advice is much appreciated. I've had my machine for 5 years and have only had troubles with it. I use universal needles and Coats and Clarks/Gutenberg thread.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Well my Bernina would be very angry at me if I used the cheap thread. Your higher end machines require a better quality of thread. I use Schmetz needles called "quilting". Find that they are a little sharper than universal. I use either Mettler Silk finished and just started using Aurifil thread. Both are 50 weight thread.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Banned

Imnsho, universal needles are universally good for nothing. You're better off using sharp needles for thick layers(or any wovens) and using ball point needles for knits. I don't know this machine but that's what entered my head when I read your post. I don't think any of my machines are picky about thread, but I make sure I use the right size/type of needle.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 01-26-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM

Margie, I too own this machine, but have not had a system overload message.

Have you turned it off and/or unplugged it a little while later?

I have had a number of issues with this machine, but not that one.

I just looked at the owner's manual (in case you didn't) and didn't see any message of a system overload message.

Last edited by lyndaj; 01-26-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by lyndaj View Post
Margie, I too own this machine, but have not had a system overload message.

Have you turned it off and/or unplugged it a little while later?

I have had a number of issues with this machine, but not that one.

I just looked at the owner's manual (in case you didn't) and didn't see any message of a system overload message.
I believe I have tried unplugging it a bit afterwords and it then states the same thing. I was actually thinking of just selling the machine, but I can't find a sewing place in MT to sell a used 2009 machine. Plus it kinda bothers me to sell a machine I've had so many tension problems with the straight stich.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:22 PM

Is there a Pfaff dealer that can do repairs that you can take your machine to? It might be something that can be fixed and worth a try before you buy a new machine. I have a Pfaff 2134 which is probably older than yours. It suddenly developed tension problems and had never had any problems before that. When I took it in for repair, she first did a good cleaning and that was all it needed.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:44 PM

I own the Pfaff Expression 2.0 and have had this problem, but only when trying to stitch through too many layers. The only time this has happened was when I was stitching handles to the outside of a quilted bag. The handle was doubled under making it very thick. Maybe try a larger, sharper needle. I no longer try sewing through excessive thickness of fabrics using my old mechanical to do that job.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Is there a Pfaff dealer that can do repairs that you can take your machine to? It might be something that can be fixed and worth a try before you buy a new machine. I have a Pfaff 2134 which is probably older than yours. It suddenly developed tension problems and had never had any problems before that. When I took it in for repair, she first did a good cleaning and that was all it needed.
Yes, I have brought it to the dealer at least twice regarding but they acted like there wasnt any issue, though there is.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Margie07 View Post
Yes, I have brought it to the dealer at least twice regarding but they acted like there wasnt any issue, though there is.
Oh, no! They were no help. (: Sorry to hear that.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by RainyBC View Post
I own the Pfaff Expression 2.0 and have had this problem, but only when trying to stitch through too many layers. The only time this has happened was when I was stitching handles to the outside of a quilted bag. The handle was doubled under making it very thick. Maybe try a larger, sharper needle. I no longer try sewing through excessive thickness of fabrics using my old mechanical to do that job.
I've had tension issues sewing on 2 layers of quilting weight cotton. Perhaps if I change to sharp needles and more expensive thread the problem will be fixed. I do have a old all metal machine. What do you use this machine for?