Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Photos of a mat smoother's work

Blog Entries
    Even though this has a few pictures, it seems like a "Main" topic, but I'll understand if it's moved!

I looked for the post where I learned about this gadget: http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...r_TD80686.html but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I purchased one a while back and have been pleased with the results, so thought I'd share in case anyone was wondering about it.

Two ragged flannels are under construction, so I had a nice brainless day of cutting batting squares. (I needed this kind of day. :wink: ) I saved an old mat just for batting because they tend to get ruined afterwards.

After cutting all these...

my mat looked like this...

Those grooves are filled and the batting stuff is stuck!
    So, with a little elbow grease and wiping the mat off with a damp paper towel, after about five minutes, it looked like this:

Nice, eh? :D I used it on a newer mat and it did leave some scratch marks. And I think the directions said it works better if one moves it in straight lines rather than circles, but I tossed the directions so I can't be sure. :roll: I'd used it on a new mat, but not with basic cotton fabric--just flannels and especially batting.

Oh--none of the new batting was cut into--these were all from scrap pieces saved from trimming the outside of quilts the quilter leaves there because I paid for the piece, and other scraps. Yay!!

Hope this little advertisement helps someone. :D

What a great little tool!
    Your mat looks great after all the hard work it did!
    thanks for the tip!

Well, I gotta get me one of them. Wow. I'm impressed. That mat was trashed. Looks pretty good after. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I was cleaning it a bit after cutting a few--but decided to just get the job done, then clean her up. It made for more dramatic results too, don't ya think? :lol:

Thanks for the pictures. I have one of those, and used it years ago, but haven't seen it for a loooong time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip and taking the time to shoot the pics too :D :D :D

Wow, I'm impressed. I would have thought that mat was toast. Thanks for the heads up.