Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Photos on Quilts >

Photos on Quilts

Photos on Quilts

Old 10-29-2016, 07:10 PM

Default Photos on Quilts

I have a HP OfficeJet 7612 Printer. I want to copy and print photos on fabric for my next quilt. Since this is my first try at doing this, I did a test run in which my photos turned out great, however, when I washed them the colors faded something awful. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I have a HP OfficeJet 7612 Printer. I want to copy and print photos on fabric for my next quilt. Since this is my first try at doing this, I did a test run in which my photos turned out great, however, when I washed them the colors faded something awful. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
haven't used it, but know there is a white fabric that is especially made for photos--it doesn't have the chemical finishes on it and think that is suppose to make it print (and stay??) better.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Try googling bubble jet set. Fabric requires special treatment to retain ink. Or use Spoonflower.com
Old 10-29-2016, 08:29 PM

I used Printed Treasures fabric from JoAnn's and heat set it with the iron like crazy. My son is compulsive launderer and the pictures are holding up fine. My printer was a HP officejet, too. Loved the colors on that one. My current one, a Dell, has terrible color.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:09 AM

HP uses a water soluble ink. Most home printers do. (Epson may not) I don't know how to solve your problem, but that's what causes it.

bkay
Old 10-30-2016, 04:27 AM
Gay

I use Bubble Jet Set on plain white fabric, then cut to A4 size. Heat set with dry iron when dry. I usually leave mine to set overnight. There is also a recipe to make your own bjset but I haven't tried it yet. Otherwise the Printed Treasures (or other brands) of prepared fabric are good, if more expensive.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:14 AM

Did you heat set it with a dry iron? Not sure if that will help but its a suggestion.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:59 PM

Order from Spoonflower.com. Any DIY product will fade to some degree, but following laundering instructions on the package will help some. E.g. Bubble Jet Set has a formula for HP printers & there's also Bubble Jet Rinse to help limit fading. Printed Treasures does best when washing in a mild detergent. Both should be laundered in cold water, gentlest cycle & tumble dry low/air dry.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
HP uses a water soluble ink. Most home printers do. (Epson may not) I don't know how to solve your problem, but that's what causes it.

bkay
I use an HP Printer and have not had any problems with the colors, I get my fabric sheets from CJenkins, I press with an iron to set the ink, then I use
Cold water on the photo, after removing the paper, then air dry, iron again, and ready to sew!