Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you wrip before or after washing? >

do you wrip before or after washing?

do you wrip before or after washing?

Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 AM

Default do you wrip before or after washing?

Never use to prewash my fabric, until I had that awful experience when the finished top is washed and one color shrinks so much you wind up taking every piece out. Will not mention where I purchased (Walmart) the fabric, one mistake like this is all it took for me to prewash every thing. Now my question is do you rip before or after washing? I have been doing it after as I have to iron it all any way might as well make sure it's straight.

Have I mentioned how helpful all your expert advice is. Most times I don't even have to ask just search and like magic there are a number of posts on the subject.
Thanks to all you expert quilters for your great advice without making us novices feel inapt.

I should have checked my question, sorry I wanted to say "do you rip before or after washing"

Last edited by Crafty Grandma; 10-27-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling in question
Old 10-27-2016, 12:34 PM

Rip what? I'm not sure what you are referring to.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:43 PM

I think she means to get the straight of grain. IF I ripped--which I don't, I would do it after washing. I have found many of the newer fabrics-and especially solids like Kona cottons--will ravel very badly if they are cut exactly on the grain. I am more concerned that any noticeable stripe or diagonal is positioned correctly in my cutting and piecing.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:05 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I NEVER rip. Ever. Shudder!!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I serge the ends (overcast with zigzag if serger not available) - then soak in hot water - and then wash and dry gently.

The ONLY time I will rip/tear the ends off (to straighten or to get a piece off a longer length)is if I am doing something where I know that I can lose up to an inch and a half - and sometimes more - (on each side of the tear) due to damage caused by the tearing.

If I am short of fabric and straight of grain is very important - I will pull a thread - tedious, but it does not cause a lot of damage to the surrounding fabric.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:18 PM

I saw a youtube video that suggests ripping to get the straight of the grain. A couple of months ago, I went to a warehouse fabric place. A REALLY old lady helped me. She just let 'er rip. That's the first time I've seen that since I used to sew back in high school. (I really enjoyed talking to her and she ripped very generously. She gave me at least an extra yard on the 5 that I bought) Back in the olden days, all the fabric departments and stores ripped.

To answer your question, I have ripped. The last few pieces I've bought and washed have been too small to rip. I believe I would actually rip before washing if I were going to rip.

Actually, I've given up on getting the fabric on the straight of the grain. I tried everything and on some, I still can't get it exactly straight, even after washing. So, I do the best I can and put my effort into straight cutting.

bkay
Old 10-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I NEVER rip. Ever. Shudder!!
I am really surprised that this method for finding SOG is still used.

When I buy yardage I will cut it into workable lengths with pinking shears, then wash it, and find SOG when ready to use it.

I hold the selvage edges folded together and nudge the fabric back and forth until puckers in the fold disappear and that is close enough for me.
peace
Old 10-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

I do something similar to Ube quilting. I wash the fabric when I get it home, take it out of the dryer promptly and fold. When I'm ready to use it, I find the straight of grain by holding the selvedges together and scooting the fabric back and forth. When I find it, I press the center seam in, and trim the edge with a ruler to straighten.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

WEll I don't rip but I also don't cut before washing. I wash in hot water and throw in a hot dryer. I use lingerie laundry bags for small pieces.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:44 PM

I usually rip when I am using a good 108" for backing and I only need 85". I don't wash before quilting unless the person that pieced the top washed it.
But to answer the question I would wash first and then rip. That is just me.