Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you wrip before or after washing? >

do you wrip before or after washing?

do you wrip before or after washing?

Old 10-27-2016, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Crafty Grandma, I have a question. How far apart were your quilting lines in the quilt that had the problem with a fabric shrinking excessively? It is actually unnecessary to prewash fabrics for shrinkage *if* your quilting lines are a moderate distance apart (probably no more than 4"). This is because, when quilted, the batting prevents any fabric from shrinking more than the batting shrinks. This does not apply when the quilting lines are far apart (say, 10" apart) because then there is a 10" expanse of fabric (more on the bias) that can shrink an inch or two.

Why do you rip? It's so damaging to fabric, especially on the crossgrain. There are rare circumstances when I will rip on the lengthwise grain for long borders (and when I do this I either trim off an inch from the ripped edge or make extra-wide seams, such as in a backing). However, I never rip on the crosswise grain. I simply don't see a need to do that.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I NEVER rip. Ever. Shudder!!
Ditto!! Unless it's 108" quilt backing, and in that case it's usually the clerk who's ripping it, not me.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:41 PM

Since I usually wash my fabric the day I bring it home, it would mean I would rip after it has been washed. Today I was trying to get 5 yards of fabric set so I could cut it in half. Not sure if it was me or the fabric but it wasn't cooperating so I found the half way mark, clipped it and ripped it in half. I knew I will be cutting off at least 2 inches from the area so wasn't concerned about losing the area, but it ironed well, so that was good.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:57 PM

I never rip either & I have never had a problem. I think a video I saw a long time ago though said to wash it first before you rip.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

I only rip when I deal with a loooong piece of fabric and I need to use smaller increments. I rip down and then trim with the rotary cutter.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:52 PM

In Paducah, during Quilt Week, Eleanor Burns has many "stores" to buy her goods/fabrics - her Quilt In A Day store, a warehouse and usually another large location. They have dozens of ladies/clerks manning dozens of tables/cash registers and THEY ALL RIP THE FABRIC - ALL DAY LONG. I have bought lots of pieces of fabrics and cannot even tell that it was ripped or pick it out of a piece of fabric on my shelf that was ripped. One lady said that their hands could not take it if they had to cut fabric all day long - all week long.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:33 PM

I usually will straighten like Ube does but will rip fabric if I'm doing borders on the lenght of grain and especially on fairly wide borders--but allow for about an 1" to trim off. I also prefer that the fabric stores rip my wide back IF they do it right--which means doing a short cut and then very slowly and carefully (not pulling it all at one time)rip from the short cut outward--so that I get a fairly straight piece of fabric to straighten at home
Old 10-27-2016, 10:51 PM

I don't rip. I haven't found any reason to find the straight of grain when cutting small pieces.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:39 AM

Never ever rip!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:43 AM

I prefer to have my fabric ripped when I purchase it because it is on grain. If it looks angular when I hold the selvedges together, I know I have to 'tenter' it by pulling diagonally on the corners until it hangs straight. Having fabric on the straight grain is very important on sashings and borders. Perhaps it doesn't make too much on cut squares and triangles for quilt pieces. I know this harkens back to garment sewing when sections not cut on the grain did not hang straight. I am aware that this can cause a problem when the fabric has been printed on greige goods that are not straight to start with. I never buy printed plaid fabric for this reason. Sometimes we have to choose between two equally poor options.