Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Picking fabric >

Picking fabric

Picking fabric

Old 06-01-2014, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the replies ladies. I think my problem is that I'm scared of patterns and prints. In life I am a very plain person, clothes being very simple and self coloured. I've never been able to work them even though I can say that working with colour is fairly easy. I think for the time being I shall stick to pre-cut fabric packs, take the difficulty out of it.

Fiona.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 AM

You might try picking one print that really "speaks" to you and building the rest with blenders and solids. Then it's only a small step out of your comfort zone. Connecting Threads is an online shop that has a design wall. That lets you "see" six fabrics together. Their fabric is not very expensive so you won't break the bank and then end up with something you don't like. Maybe make some seasonal wallhangings. You can give them as presents.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Well, I have to say that I buy what pleases my eyes. Having said that, I also sew together what pleases my eyes. If you are worried that something you put together will not look good, I wonder if getting a color wheel would help a bit. It can tell what is a good contrast. Maybe for your first venture outside the comfort zone, you could keep it to about 3 different fabrics, that are not too "busy", then go from there.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:45 PM

Everyone's explanation and ideas were great. Additionally, I found this link interesting for value and hues of colors:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...l-t244777.html.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Blenders are those fabrics that almost read as solids from a distance; they compliment and can be used with many different larger print focus fabrics; they are best without a lot of contrast in their small prints; they cover the value spectrum from very light to very dark within each color.
I just wanted to say thanks for this description of what a blender is. I've heard the term a million times but never really thought about what they are. You've made me realize my stash is really spare on blenders in most color ranges.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fifee View Post
In life I am a very plain person, clothes being very simple and self coloured.
Oh so am I! I wear very dark, simple color clothes. But quilts are different, no color is off the list when it comes to quilts. I make some wild, some mild! Don't be afraid...nothing bad can happen!

Maybe you need to do a scrappy quilt. Pick colors you like and you know work together, find prints in those colors, and dice them into squares and put them back together at random. If you don't like it, just start showing it to people and when someone loves it, give it to them.

Or maybe a bargello will help, since you use a lot of different fabrics (like 20). They really aren't as hard as they look, I promise! You can mix solids, prints, batiks...anything you want, it's just the prevailing color that matters.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fifee View Post
Thanks for the replies ladies. I think my problem is that I'm scared of patterns and prints. In life I am a very plain person, clothes being very simple and self coloured. I've never been able to work them even though I can say that working with colour is fairly easy. I think for the time being I shall stick to pre-cut fabric packs, take the difficulty out of it.

Fiona.
Or you might try several shades of the same color. That works for me, as I also don't lean towards patterns or prints. Or a Bargello, like Sewnoma suggested? I also like to use a lot of white. That works well for me. Anyway, food for thought when you are ready to experiment.

If I have remembered the order right, the first it s Trip around the World, the second is a Bargello wall hanging, and the third is called First Light Log Cabin, and it is free online somewhere.

Just in case any of these spark ideas for you. I like to use precuts too, but I like to select my own fabric more.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001377.jpg   s8001647.jpg   s8001429.jpg