Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Pieced Fleece Backing?

  1. #1
    Super Member jetnica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    1,402
    How many of you back your quilts with fleece? It's something I've done twice now and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

    Has anyone ever pieced together fleece for a backing? does the seem show terribly on the quilt front?

    =) my brain is wandering - i probably should stop it...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    940
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnica
    How many of you back your quilts with fleece? It's something I've done twice now and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

    Has anyone ever pieced together fleece for a backing? does the seem show terribly on the quilt front?

    =) my brain is wandering - i probably should stop it...
    I've backed several quilts with fleece -- depends on the recipient or intended use. I have been happy with it. I use anti-pill and have also pieced the backs -- I use a 1/2 to 3/4 inch seam, and topstitch the edges down on the back (wrong) side if I think they'll curl. If you use the same color thread, it blends well, and you really won't notice once you get the other quilting done. I do tend to use more pins when basting, though, to be sure I'm not stretching the fabric unintentionally. To me, nothing feels better on a cold night than to curl up on the sofa with a book while snuggled under a fleece-backed quilt I've made.

  3. #3
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,964
    I've only used fleece on baby blankets but I love the way it feels.

  4. #4
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,649
    Am I correct in assuming that you don't put batting in if you use a thick fleece backing?

  5. #5
    Super Member jetnica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    1,402
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    Am I correct in assuming that you don't put batting in if you use a thick fleece backing?
    I haven't the two times I've done this... they seem cozy, both of the quilts I backed in fleece were gifts...

  6. #6
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnica
    I haven't the two times I've done this... they seem cozy, both of the quilts I backed in fleece were gifts...
    I would think they would be perfect without batting, both in weight and warmth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.