Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pieced Fleece Backing?

How many of you back your quilts with fleece? It's something I've done twice now and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Has anyone ever pieced together fleece for a backing? does the seem show terribly on the quilt front?

=) my brain is wandering - i probably should stop it...

Quote Originally Posted by jetnica
    How many of you back your quilts with fleece? It's something I've done twice now and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Has anyone ever pieced together fleece for a backing? does the seem show terribly on the quilt front?

=) my brain is wandering - i probably should stop it...
    I've backed several quilts with fleece -- depends on the recipient or intended use. I have been happy with it. I use anti-pill and have also pieced the backs -- I use a 1/2 to 3/4 inch seam, and topstitch the edges down on the back (wrong) side if I think they'll curl. If you use the same color thread, it blends well, and you really won't notice once you get the other quilting done. I do tend to use more pins when basting, though, to be sure I'm not stretching the fabric unintentionally. To me, nothing feels better on a cold night than to curl up on the sofa with a book while snuggled under a fleece-backed quilt I've made.

I've only used fleece on baby blankets but I love the way it feels.

Am I correct in assuming that you don't put batting in if you use a thick fleece backing?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    Am I correct in assuming that you don't put batting in if you use a thick fleece backing?
    I haven't the two times I've done this... they seem cozy, both of the quilts I backed in fleece were gifts...

Quote Originally Posted by jetnica
    I haven't the two times I've done this... they seem cozy, both of the quilts I backed in fleece were gifts...
    I would think they would be perfect without batting, both in weight and warmth.