Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing with flannel >

Piecing with flannel

Piecing with flannel

Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM

I am looking at a couple of quilt kits that I am interested in purchasing. They are fairly basic, but they are flannel. I know lots of people make rag quilts, which these are not, and was wondering what it is like to piece with flannel. I don't recall seeing any triangles, so it would be squares/rectangles like 9-patch and such. Is it a pain to work with?? Does it stretch badly. Please let me know all the good/bad. I don't want to spend the money if it's going to frustrate me to no end. I don't need anymore of that right now!! This is retail therapy..LOL
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM

When I use flannel, I use bigger pieces and often use a walking foot throughout the quilt top construction. I also use a long stitch length.

There is so much pretty flannel out there and they make beautiful quilts.

good info here:

http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...-quilting.html
Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

I made two baby blankets with flannel. The piecing went fine and they were so soft and cuddly. I say go for it.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 PM

I love working with flannel. There are some things that you must do, however. I always prewash fannel. I have found that even really good flannel shrinks some. It does stretch, but a walking foot and a longer stitch should take care of that. Just make sure you don't pull or stretch it yourself while sewing. Also, when I work with flannel, I never go for less expensive. Good flannel is nice and thick and you can't see through it when you hold it up to the light. It has a nice tight weave.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

One other thing I noticed when working with flannel, even after it is washed, there will be a fair amount of fuzz, just be sure to clean your bobbin case area often, or you might give yourself unnecessary grief
Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 PM

I'll be starting a flannel log cabin for my oldest son's 'birthday quilt' hopefully tomorrow! :)

I made one of my DGS's quilt (Hole in the Barn Door) all of flannel last Aug, and I learned from that to frequently clean out the bobbin area, and under the plate, gets quite a bit of lint as you're sewing. Also realized then that I should have used a longer stitch length. I didn't pre-wash that fabric, and had no problems. I did use a couple of color catchers when I washed it after it was done though. It's been washed tons of times since, and still looking great!
- Edited to say I forgot to mention the piecing seemed no different to me, than using cotton. Seams were a bit thicker, which I think is why I realized I should have used longer stitches. Also I FMQ this, and I think I should have done it less dense, as it made it slightly stiff. I think I'll just use my walking foot for my son's log cabin.

Making a flannel quilt for myself in the very near future is very much on my 'list'! My DGS's was sooo soft and cuddly!
:) :)