View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
MollieSue

I'll be starting a flannel log cabin for my oldest son's 'birthday quilt' hopefully tomorrow! :)

I made one of my DGS's quilt (Hole in the Barn Door) all of flannel last Aug, and I learned from that to frequently clean out the bobbin area, and under the plate, gets quite a bit of lint as you're sewing. Also realized then that I should have used a longer stitch length. I didn't pre-wash that fabric, and had no problems. I did use a couple of color catchers when I washed it after it was done though. It's been washed tons of times since, and still looking great!
- Edited to say I forgot to mention the piecing seemed no different to me, than using cotton. Seams were a bit thicker, which I think is why I realized I should have used longer stitches. Also I FMQ this, and I think I should have done it less dense, as it made it slightly stiff. I think I'll just use my walking foot for my son's log cabin.

Making a flannel quilt for myself in the very near future is very much on my 'list'! My DGS's was sooo soft and cuddly!
:) :)