Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing and Quilting >

Piecing and Quilting

Piecing and Quilting

Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Default Piecing and Quilting

I want you all to know that you and your quilts are so awesome! I have learned to piece tops together(as long as not too complicated) but what really astounds me are the newbies who are also quilting their own and so beautifully. How do you do it? And how do you get the nerve to try it! I am baffled as well as totally impressed. And to you experts, wow! I just hope that someday, when I retire and can get more practice, that one day I will be able to accomplish one iota of the talent you all show! Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Make yourself a few practice quilt sandwiches and start playing, Leah Day has just done some awesome tutorials on FMQ for beginners
http://www.freemotionquilting.blogsp...ilt-along.html
Give it a go, you might surprise yourself. I cannot afford to send my quilts to someone else to quilt, so it was a case of "HAVE TO" lol
Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 PM

I agree they are awesome. Ive only done a couple just SID and cross hatch. I tried meandering it wasn't that great!!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM

You'll get there, keep practicing! I am an experienced quilter and am constantly amazed by the quality of work I see here, especially by the beginners. Believe me, when I started, beginners were beginners! Four patches were the rule way back when and lots of them were NOT done well! Good luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
Make yourself a few practice quilt sandwiches and start playing, Leah Day has just done some awesome tutorials on FMQ for beginners
http://www.freemotionquilting.blogsp...ilt-along.html
Give it a go, you might surprise yourself. I cannot afford to send my quilts to someone else to quilt, so it was a case of "HAVE TO" lol
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Woody, for posting the blogspot! I am ordering the dvd to get started and out of the ditch!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM

Craftsy is an on-line class that's a good investment (mine was about $30.) On-line video class to help learning beginning free motion quilting. You can go back on-line and watch the lessons as many times as you want. I told myself that if I could get up the nerve to try quilting the whole thing right from the 1st quilt I made, it would get better with each quilt. When I post photos of my quilts, I don't post a real close up, as it does look a bit rough in the quilting. There's only one way to learn, and that's to dive in and do it! These people are very encouraging when it's not going so well. Best of luck to you!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Leah Day has a great website and free videos with awesome advice for just about everything to do FMQ on a DSM. I bought 2 of her books to use as resources for quilt designs.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Thanks Woody for the free video of FMQ. I really have to try it!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 AM

Thanks for sharing - I bookmarked this page!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Deanne View Post
I want you all to know that you and your quilts are so awesome! I have learned to piece tops together(as long as not too complicated) but what really astounds me are the newbies who are also quilting their own and so beautifully. How do you do it? And how do you get the nerve to try it! I am baffled as well as totally impressed. And to you experts, wow! I just hope that someday, when I retire and can get more practice, that one day I will be able to accomplish one iota of the talent you all show! Thank you so much for sharing!
I feel the same way - been quilting (hand quilting for several years) and think this is my thing. I made a few quilts but somehow when it comes to machine quilting, still feel like a newbie. Working full time and all my other responsibilities makes it tough - I would also love it if I get to be blessed and retire, I can spend more time practicing. The Quilting Board is awesome with lots of helps and assistance - I am always looking for a step-by-step highly recommended way of quilting so I can stay encouraged.