Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing and Quilting >

Piecing and Quilting

Piecing and Quilting

Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 AM

Truly are some beauties on here!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 AM

I just started my first project, a table runner. I have to say cutting the fabric is so relaxing! I just bought lots of beautiful fabric, admired it for a long time, found a pattern I loved and jumped in head first. It definitly is a learning process since no one taught me how to sew. I am addicted though! It is hard to find time especially since I have two young boys. Fortunatly I have taught my five yr old to use my hand crank he loves to help.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 AM

I started to venture into FMQ by making Christmas gifts. It was June and I bought some nice Christmas fabric at about 75% off. I made pot holders (hot pads) and FMQ'd them. It helped. And I had great stocking stuffers for my brothers and sisters (and neighbors and kids etc... LOL).
Old 04-25-2012, 05:29 AM

Oh and Project Linus. I made some easy quilts for that and practiced my FMQ on them. They were not perfect, but they were nice. I got to learn and practice and someone got a nice quilt to use and love!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 AM

I agree with others about Craftsy and Leah Day. I bought several Craftsy on-line classes when they would be on sale at 30.00 or less. That's little more than the price of a quilting book and the lessons are very detailed and the camera angles show you every step. Leah Day's is free on you-tube and extremely well done. All the instruction is clear and you can really learn how to do the project. Missouri Star is another one with you-tube tutorials that are free and shows the details. Good luck on getting started.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM

I'm neither a newbie nor an expert, but after quite a few years of quilting, I'm learning to relax and enjoy the process. What matters most is not that everything is perfect, but that you're having fun and experiencing a sense of accomplishment! Glad that you're on the board with us.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
Make yourself a few practice quilt sandwiches and start playing, Leah Day has just done some awesome tutorials on FMQ for beginners
http://www.freemotionquilting.blogsp...ilt-along.html
Give it a go, you might surprise yourself. I cannot afford to send my quilts to someone else to quilt, so it was a case of "HAVE TO" lol
Thank you for the web site. In a couple of weeks I will being going to my LQS and learn how to use the LA. I like to try and learn new things so am up to it.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM

You can do it! I FM all my quilts 'cause I can't afford to send them out. That being said, start small. Make several quilt sandwiches that are easy to manuver under the needle. Draw on them, make some squiggly lines, copy drawings from a simple coloring book, anything that makes it easy for you to get in the groove. It took me at least 8 hours (not all at once) to learn to move the needle and the fabric at the right speeds. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM

I've been trying for over a year ta teach myself FMQ. I finally took a class! I'm not great but not bad either. Here is a link ta my 2 quilts that I did FMQ on.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t187091.html
PS I'm a hand quilter but I have so many quilts that I don't have time ta hand quilt 'em all.