Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pinking Rotary Cutter

I wondered how many of you use the pinking rotary cutter. I think I would want one, but need to know something. Can the blades fit on another cutter as long as it is the same size. Do you need to always use a Ofa blade on a Ofa handle or a Fiskars on a Fiskars handles? In otherwords, are these things interchangeable? Also, how many like the large ones 60mm

Blog Entries
    My experience is that the blades are indeed generic...they fit any handle.

Thank you. That is what I thought, but thought I had better ask.

Is the pinking blade the same as the chenille blade?

I still like to pink the seams on some things I sew, such as a tailored jacket, even though I have a serger. My old Gingher pinking shears made my hands hurt, so instead of getting a new pair, I bought a pinking blade for the 45mm Olfa that I don't use. It is SO much easier to operate, I wish I had tried it earlier.

I like my pinking blade, but have been wondering if you still get a 1/4 seam using pieces cut with it. It's hard for me to tell where I should line up the ruler when cutting.

Blog Entries
    I have never used one with a ruler... I know the wavy blades chew them up.
    I don't like the pinked edges for sewing quilt pieces. I only use it to keep the fabric from fraying while laundering.

I don't use the pinking blade for quilting either, just for garment sewing in places where you need to grade seam allowances or with bulky fabrics that could leave a ridge when you press them open. I have only used them to trim a 3/4" or 5/8" seam allowance down to about 3/8" or to pink the raw edge of ravely bulky fabric that I will line. I can't think of a circumstance when you would need them with quilting cottons or narrow seams. Nice quilting cottons shouldn't fray enough to need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    I like my pinking blade, but have been wondering if you still get a 1/4 seam using pieces cut with it. It's hard for me to tell where I should line up the ruler when cutting.
    So glad that you voiced this...I have sworn off charm packs for this reason...how much time am I saving if I'm futzin' with the quarter inch seam...and if I have to trim down to get a straight edge, then I've lost time and fabric.

About the Gingher pinking shears...you might try having them adjusted by a pro...my regular shears were always very tight, very sharp, but very tight and rather difficult to use for any length of time. After taking them in to have the slightest burr removed, they are easy, easy, easy to open and close...the pro took it upon himself to adjust them...I'm ever so glad that he did!

My sister and I just thought we would make our own strips to use with the jelly rolls we buy.
    Sometimes I cut my strips for a quilt but don't the quilt started. The trips end up in my fabric tote and the edges start to fray. Same with pieces of scraps I've cut strips for later use in scrap quilts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast