Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pinking Rotary Cutter ??????

Does anyone have one? Do you like it? Where did you find it?

Sara

I bought mine years ago at Joann Fabrics. I use it all the time for lots of things. I use it mostly for trimming my edges for pre washing fabric. My kids used it for ?????? :)

Blog Entries
    I rarely use mine except for trimming edges before pre-washing. For cutting pieces to quilt, it is not very good. It's hard to match up edges for a good 1/4" seam.

Yes I have one, and also a wave blade.

Do I like it? Yes, it does a great job. It takes some getting used to it along the edge of the plastic ruler as it's easier to nick into it.

I seldom use it and bought it for craft use, not for quilting.

I use mine for trimming edges of fabric before washing. It works great! I had an old rotary cutter and just bought a pinking blade to use with it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE

Do I like it? Yes, it does a great job. It takes some getting used to it along the edge of the plastic ruler as it's easier to nick into it.

I'm looking for something to eliminate all the strings that end up on the carpet (I hand piece/hand quilt). Can it be used for cutting quilt pieces?

Banned
    I have a pinking and wavy
    Bought both at Michael's for a fusing workshop with Laura Wasilowski
    Haven't used them since

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom

I'm looking for something to eliminate all the strings that end up on the carpet (I hand piece/hand quilt). Can it be used for cutting quilt pieces?
    Yes, it can be used.
    Though I am like the PP who mentioned it's harder to line things up with the pinked edges.

Even with that, it's not foolproof ... you are still going to have loose threads! If you're going to sew/quilt, it's something you might want to get used to.

Yes, it can be used.
    Though I am like the PP who mentioned it's harder to line things up with the pinked edges.

Even with that, it's not foolproof ... you are still going to have loose threads! If you're going to sew/quilt, it's something you might want to get used to.
    Then what is the advantage of having one?

KR
    I have the wavy blade that looks like pinking with rounded points and fits in my Olfa cutter. Especially like to use it when cutting blocks that I'm going to do applique work on as it keeps them from fraying. Bought it at Joann's with a coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by KR
    I have the wavy blade that looks like pinking with rounded points and fits in my Olfa cutter. Especially like to use it when cutting blocks that I'm going to do applique work on as it keeps them from fraying.
    Is the wave blade better then than the pinking blade?

KR
    I have the wavy blade that looks like pinking with rounded points and fits in my Olfa cutter. Especially like to use it when cutting blocks that I'm going to do applique work on as it keeps them from fraying.
    I haven't seen or tried a pinking blade but this is pretty close. Just know that my pinking shears have always been a bear to use, especially compared to the rotary cutter.

I haven't seen or tried a pinking blade but this is pretty close. Just know that my pinking shears have always been a bear to use, especially compared to the rotary cutter.
    Does it cut down on the amount of fraying?

Yes, it can be used.

Then what is the advantage of having one?
    As I already said .... "I seldom use it and bought it for craft use, not for quilting."

KR
    Does it cut down on the amount of fraying?
    Yes, quite a bit. At first I find teensy bits as they "fray" off the "pinked" edge, but that soon tapers off.

I would not use this cutter to cut blocks for piecing....you can't get as accurate a cut as with the straight blade.

The reason I bought it in the first place was after attending a lecture by a professional quilter....sorry, don't remember her name....who used it to cut out flower petals for her 3-dimensional machine applique work. It just looked like a fun tool to have in the inventory. 8-)

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    I have one and only used it once or twice to cut the ends of the fabric before washing so it doesn't fray as much. I found it hard to use and it nicked the edge of my rulers. I'd rather untangle all the frayed ends than have nicks in my rulers so I don't use it any more for fabric. It has now gone to my "paper cutting" box of scissors.

I have the pinking blade and I have used mine to trim the edges of my quilt after it has been quilted and the binding has been applied to the front. It is, in my opinion, harder to get an accurate cut. A prolific blogger quilter finishes her quilts in this way and I thought I would try it.

I mostly use mine in non-quilting sewing, though. I think it is a handy tool to have. I had an extra cutter so I bought the blade and I just leave it on so it is ready to go when I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by AFQSinc
    ... It is, in my opinion, harder to get an accurate cut. ........
    I'll echo that!!... and also very easy to leave the ruler and run askew.

Blog Entries
    I use mine to trim fleece blankies.

I have one, but to be honest, I've never actually used the pinking blade, so I'm no help, sorry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I use mine to trim fleece blankies.
    me too, and that is the only thing i used mine for...

I bought one and have never used it

If you take two pieces of fabric, fuse them together wrong sides together, cut a rectangle...viola..boook marks.

I bought mine at a garage sale. It is the standard Olfa cutter with a pinking blade. When I was trying to buy a pinking blade for my sister recently, I found out that Olfa now makes the pinking blade only to fit the more expensive Ergo cutter.

We make Pellon fused cloth postcards and use the pinking blade to trim the edges. It is a fun project. I also use it on fleece projects.

I use it for fleece and for fusible mesh stabilizer in embroidery. By eliminating the stark edge of the stablizer, pressing it onto a garment, the edges look so much nicer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast