Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinning Tip - No Pins!

Pinning Tip - No Pins!

I hate to pin. I stink at it, so I only do it for things that are absolutely necessary. It never lays as flat as I want it to, and never seems absolutely secure. I much prefer to use wonderclips, but even then, sometimes it's just more effort than I think should be needed.

A small piece of Double Sided tape works wonders! I was making a bunch of HSTs and Flying Geese yesterday, and put a small piece on either side of the stitch lines, and they held together perfectly! Bonus: I was ironing them today and noticed that when I was removing them (easily) that they're still sticky so they can be re-used. A roll of the tape is only a couple bucks, and I'll get tons of mileage out of one roll. Obviously it won't work for certain things, but it was great for this use!

Note - don't stitch through the tape or iron it. It'll gum up your needle, and possibly melt.

Blog Entries
    There are so many solutions. A great idea you came up with. What kind of DS tape are you suggesting? I use a Scotch Brand product, 1/4 and 1/2" wide where I work and it is way to sticky to use on fabric. There must be several kinds so which do you recommend?
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

What I used is actually the Scotch brand Permanent Double Sided Tape in the 1/2" wide. The label is yellow, and it is pretty sticky but it peeled off the fabric really easily for me. I only used a 1/2" piece of it or smaller, so a little goes a long way, it seems.

I'm not a pre-washer so perhaps that helped it remove more easily from the fabric? I have a generic double sided tape somewhere else in the house so maybe I'll try that later too, but this is what worked for me this time!

I use 1/4" Wonder Tape Double Sided water soluble. It's a staple in my sewing room. I use Wonder Clips instead of pins too. I detest pins. I use pins to hold blocks to my design wall.
    I love my life!

I'm a pin person. It does make a big difference to use a high-quality, thin, sharp pin.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tip
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

PatPitter: what brand do you like the best?

Sephe: I use that technique when doing sandwiches. It does help!

I do have 2 different kinds of sewing pins, but not the flower head ones so perhaps that would make a difference. I never felt like investing in them when I knew I hated pinning though

I do use corsage pins for pinning the backing to the carpet when I'm glue basting. They're long, but sturdier and pretty cheap to replace if needed. I'm on my 5th year of using the same batch though, so they're still working out!

Onebyone, I had NO idea they made water soluble double sided tape! That's pretty awesome! It's $10 for 2 rolls (10yd each) on Amazon right now. I wonder if that would work instead of pinning points, since you can stitch through it?

I use the flower head pins and also fine applique pins. Sorry but I don't know the brand.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II

The pins I have are Clover glass headed very fine sharp pins, just makes them prick my finger better. LOL
    I love my life!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast