Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinterest etiquette? >

Pinterest etiquette?

Pinterest etiquette?

Old 01-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I completely DISAGREE. You can take it. But you shouldn't. Not without asking.
I am so sorry GrannieAnnie, but when you post a pic to a public forum you have already GIVEN it. It's out there for the whole wide world. If it's too private you shouldn't post, but once you do, your control of it is gone. I feel no compulsion to ask permission (think of the time that would take, not to mention remembering who I asked for what!). It's no more of an intrusion than bookmarking it here. Same thing. My Pinterest boards are my bulletin boards, to keep designs I want to refer to later-- just like my bookmarks here. In fact I'd much rather pin than bookmark because the pins are easier to find!

It's 2014 and this is the internet....
Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

That being said, when I find someone has pinned one of my quilts I usually leave them a comment along the lines of, "Thanks so much for pinning my quilt!"
Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM

No one asks permission before they pin something. If it's posted online it's not private. I do think that some things are protected by copyright law, not sure what exactly though.

How do you keep the link with the picture? I guess I thought that was automatic.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 PM

I always thought the link came up at the bottom saying pinned from. In my opinion Pintrest keeps your interests pinned close at hand so you can go back to them. Pictures posted online should contain a Copyright Stamp to keep others from claiming them as their own though. I also thought pictures were posted because the owner of said picture wanted the world to see it.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:04 PM

I don't do Pinterest and doubt I've ever created anything that someone else would want to pin. That being said, if you like my stuff, pin away. This is the internet. It's a public forum. Anything posted is up for grabs. Or pins. It is nice when people can link the pins back to the original post. I think that increases traffic on our board and garnes new members. New members keep things lively.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:12 PM

The topic asks what is the correct etiquette for Pinterest. I have seen it suggested in many places to give credit to the maker of any item or link to the original website as a common courtesy. Like others mentioned; if it is posted it is in the public domain and should be poster beware. Many quilters, photographers, etc. place a watermark on their original photos before posting them and this gives them their due credit.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Yes, this is a public board, so anyone anywhere can look. I shake my head when folks post kids' pictures.
I don't think it's completely public - you can't actually look at photos on the board unless you're signed in.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:16 PM

If I do a google search for a specific quilt many pictures from QB show up. You don't have to be a member to view photos here.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 PM

I have no clue how to Pin pictures from here to Pinterest. Everyone needs to realize that things you put out on the internet live forever and can easily find their way to all sorts of places. Once I post a picture it becomes public domain. If I didn't want it shared, I would have kept it to myself. If someone ever liked something I made enough to "Pin" it, they don't need my permission, but it would be a compliment to me if someone said they liked my quilt so much that they shared it on Pinterest. I would be honored, and not insulted at all.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

id like a "hey love this !!! Pinning it for others to enjoy!"..