Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pinterest etiquette? >
  • Pinterest etiquette?

• Pinterest etiquette?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 PM

I have found photos of some of my quilts in Pinterest and no one has ever mentioned to me that they were going to pin them. I like that someone like my items enough to pin them. I'm going to check and see if they have link to where the original was posted.

Last edited by Barb_MO; 01-29-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM

I just found this quilt on pinterest.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ilt-t8442.html
    Old 01-29-2014, 11:07 PM

I always hunt for the information: who designed it and who made and/or quilted it. Then I add that information so credit is given where credit is due. As much as I would like to contact every designer on the quilts I pin, I just don't have the time to track them all down.
    Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 AM

Unfortunately, Pinterest and the board's rules for watermarking is exactly why I rarely (if ever) post any pics here. They don't allow blog watermarks on this board, and if my pics get posted to Pinterest, I want them to be directed to my blog (in case they want to know the pattern or have questions). In that case, it would be a wonderful complement to have them posted to Pinterest. My pics are mine, and I choose to share them with the members here. If I wanted to whole world to see them, I'd post them to Pinterest myself. You only need to have someone else on Pinterest see your beautiful quilt pic, pin it and take credit for your hard work to understand.......it happens..... Plus, it drives me nuts when I see a great quilt on Pinterest and have no idea what pattern it is or where to find the pattern!!

Last edited by cindi; 01-30-2014 at 01:59 AM.
    Old 01-30-2014, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I am so sorry GrannieAnnie, but when you post a pic to a public forum you have already GIVEN it. It's out there for the whole wide world. If it's too private you shouldn't post, but once you do, your control of it is gone. I feel no compulsion to ask permission (think of the time that would take, not to mention remembering who I asked for what!). It's no more of an intrusion than bookmarking it here. Same thing. My Pinterest boards are my bulletin boards, to keep designs I want to refer to later-- just like my bookmarks here. In fact I'd much rather pin than bookmark because the pins are easier to find!

It's 2014 and this is the internet....
    I thought pinterest was for your personal bulletin board as you said. I also think permission isn't necessary...

Why would there be--you already posted it for all to see.
    Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    I just found this quilt on pinterest.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ilt-t8442.html
    The chinese coin pattern is basically public domain. I can't imagine anyone claiming it as their own.
    Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    If I do a google search for a specific quilt many pictures from QB show up. You don't have to be a member to view photos here.
    Are you sure? I have my computer to automatically log me in, so I don't even think about it. But I thought you just couldn't post if you aren't logged in.

But anyway, I think people do get a little hyper about the "pics of kids on the internet" thing. I think your kids are in a whole lot more danger from some stalker/molester around the corner/in your neighborhood than one that is 500-10,000 miles away via the internet.

Why would someone bother to hop a plane to come "take" my kids here in Poland when they can find them in their own neighborhood at some school or playground? I'm not sure I understand the mentality of being upset about kids in pics.
    Old 01-30-2014, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I am so sorry GrannieAnnie, but when you post a pic to a public forum you have already GIVEN it. It's out there for the whole wide world. If it's too private you shouldn't post, but once you do, your control of it is gone. I feel no compulsion to ask permission (think of the time that would take, not to mention remembering who I asked for what!). It's no more of an intrusion than bookmarking it here. Same thing. My Pinterest boards are my bulletin boards, to keep designs I want to refer to later-- just like my bookmarks here. In fact I'd much rather pin than bookmark because the pins are easier to find!

It's 2014 and this is the internet....
    you are correct. Do a search on a specific theme quilt and you are likely to see your own show up in the search! I search hot air balloon quilt and saw a couple of mine that had been posted years ago on a different sewing site. By posting your pics you have given permission to share. Why bother with formality?

sandy
    Old 01-30-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    Are you sure? I have my computer to automatically log me in, so I don't even think about it. But I thought you just couldn't post if you aren't logged in.

But anyway, I think people do get a little hyper about the "pics of kids on the internet" thing. I think your kids are in a whole lot more danger from some stalker/molester around the corner/in your neighborhood than one that is 500-10,000 miles away via the internet.

Why would someone bother to hop a plane to come "take" my kids here in Poland when they can find them in their own neighborhood at some school or playground? I'm not sure I understand the mentality of being upset about kids in pics.

I would not post pics of your beautiful children. Those pictures are encrypted with GPS co-ordinates IF the navigation function is NOT disabled on smart phone and tablets. Now the perps have your location where the kids are. It is not called the "world wide web" for nothing. Don't be naive. Your creepy neighbor just might be lurking.......

sandy
    Old 01-30-2014, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant
    I don't think it's completely public - you can't actually look at photos on the board unless you're signed in.
    Sure you can. I just logged out and then opened QB w/out signing in. No problems seeing pics.

As far as pinning - I fall on the "it's already in the public domain" side. Though most of my pins have been repinned from Pinterest and am fairly sure I've never pinned from QB