Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pinwheels

Pinwheels are giving me problems. I am having a difficult time getting that perfect center. I've made many many pinwheels, but it feels like the very first time. I've pinned, I've basted, I'm taking a break....

any advice......

Blog Entries
    Just what you said and are doing take a break . Put it aside for a bit and then go back to it later when you are not so frustrated with it

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Walk away, slowly (like you did), take a deep breath, get a drink of coffee, water -whatever you like, spend time on the board, enjoy some fresh air. Then go back and start again. It works like a charm most of the time. When you do go back, sew slowly. I find when I think I've done this (whatever) so often before I can go faster...NOT. I have to remind myself that perfection takes patience, time and practice. And no quilt is perfect, so relax, enjoy.

Banned
    If you are having difficulty go back and check the accuracy and consistency of your seam allowances. What direction are the seams pressed. I have found that when I have difficulty putting something together the problem started way before I got to that point in the process.

Blog Entries
    Glue the middle together exactly where you want it before you sew.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    If you are having difficulty go back and check the accuracy and consistency of your seam allowances. What direction are the seams pressed. I have found that when I have difficulty putting something together the problem started way before I got to that point in the process.
    ..... will do!

Thanks all, the coffee is good! The company here is great!

Blog Entries
    what glue do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Glue the middle together exactly where you want it before you sew.

Power Poster
    Do you trim your HST's to the same size before sewing them?

I use Elmer's Washable School Glue and iron it. I used it on a pieced hexagon quilt with lots of points and they came out fine.
    Search for glue basting on this board and you'll find all sorts of tips.

The thing that works best for me is to press all of my seams OPEN when I make pinwheel blocks. I find that even when they are "nested" and pinned the machine will often "push" the blocks out of whack. So, I press all the seams open and the machine does much better without the bulk. Then the points match as well as I can pin them!

I will have to try the glue trick as I have just started a scrappy pinwheel quilt that I hope will be Queen size! Thanks for the tip. :)

Good luck with your blocks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast