Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: I sewed a curve, I sewed a curve!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member ladygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    344
    I decided when I joined block swaps, that I'd be doing blocks I wouldn't normally attempt - one of my current blocks (for the quilting bee, so I don't want to spoil the surprise and post the colors or the actual block) is a Rob Peter to Pay Paul (http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RobPe...PaulBlock.html ), and I have been so scared to actually start it! I made myself sit down and just do it... and it's great! I did one whole curve, and it's perfect, and I'm so excited!

    Okay, so I know this is silliness, but doesn't it feel just GREAT to conquer a fear?!

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    Hi,

    Awesome, congratulations, keep up the good work so you can learn more things.

    Karen

  3. #3
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,406
    Blog Entries
    10
    You are more brave then I am :mrgreen: LOL
    Congrats on stepping outside your comfort zone :thumbup:

  4. #4
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Alright!!! Good Job :thumbup: :D:D:D

  5. #5
    Super Member Mamaskeeto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FLORISSANT, MO
    Posts
    1,390
    Don't feel silly it's the little things in life that bring us joy. Congrats for learning something new.

  6. #6
    Super Member lisalovesquilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,662
    Not silly at all. I felt the same way after my first curve. Now to conquer needle turn applique. That's what I'm scared of.

  7. #7
    Super Member Elisabrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cody, Wyoming
    Posts
    6,395
    It does make one feel good and sewing a curve is not simple the first time or for people like me the tenth time either. Congratulations! Those curves can produce some very eye catching appealing quilt designs. Now.. what is the next challenge?

  8. #8
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    Congratulations!! Aren't curves fun!! And I love that block, one of my favorite patterns!! Keep going! Will watch for your block's picture!

  9. #9
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    Good for you! I have conquered the fear of paper piecing. One of these days, I'll attempt the curves too! I imagine it's something like putting a sleeve in a garment. It might not be as scary as it seems at first glance.

  10. #10
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    WOW -- I'm impressed! Good for you! :thumbup:

  11. #11
    Senior Member beckyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plum City Wisconsin
    Posts
    962
    I'm impressed. Glad you tried it and happy quilting.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ladygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    It does make one feel good and sewing a curve is not simple the first time or for people like me the tenth time either. Congratulations! Those curves can produce some very eye catching appealing quilt designs. Now.. what is the next challenge?
    Getting *comfortable* with curves!

    Then, hopefully, FMQ. I've got a couple table runners and a quilt top that's long overdue... it was supposed to go to its new home in September! But the pattern BEGS for extra leaves on it... Hopefully I'll be posting it, finished, soon!

  13. #13
    Super Member carrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    S.W. Michigan
    Posts
    1,207
    Good for you! That's what keeps us young, going outside our comfort zone. I haven't made the attempt yet - way to scary. LOL!

  14. #14
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    Good for you! It's going to take you down paths you never imagined! You know what they say, when you try the "mild" ones, you always move on to the more addicting ones!

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Yay! Good for you!

  16. #16
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,957
    I am impresses. Curves still scare me. Congrats on overcoming your fear.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    central California
    Posts
    639
    Aren't we silly sometimes?!! I had a quilt cut out for a couple of years, just sitting waiting for me to be brave enough to sew. It was curved also (maybe even rob Peter to pay Paul). Last year I made myself sit down and at least give it a try. WOW, it came out perfect, and it was fairly easy, I finished all the blocks quickly. Sometimes we imagine things to be far worse than they end up being, lesson learned, I hope!!

  18. #18
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yea for you. That's one of the new things I'm teaching my students this year.

  19. #19
    Super Member mimisharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, North Carolina
    Posts
    6,014
    Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    Aren't we silly sometimes?!! I had a quilt cut out for a couple of years, just sitting waiting for me to be brave enough to sew. It was curved also (maybe even rob Peter to pay Paul). Last year I made myself sit down and at least give it a try. WOW, it came out perfect, and it was fairly easy, I finished all the blocks quickly. Sometimes we imagine things to be far worse than they end up being, lesson learned, I hope!!
    And tell me why as ADULTS we allow ourselves to be afraid of something that's not going to hurt us, kill us, or even pay us! Isn't it wonderful to find the confidence to try something new? You won't be afraid anymore to try new things, will you?

    Congratulations and hugs,
    Sharon

  20. #20
    Senior Member aliaslaceygreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Chesterfield, Virginia
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by ladygen
    I decided when I joined block swaps, that I'd be doing blocks I wouldn't normally attempt - one of my current blocks (for the quilting bee, so I don't want to spoil the surprise and post the colors or the actual block) is a Rob Peter to Pay Paul (http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RobPe...PaulBlock.html ), and I have been so scared to actually start it! I made myself sit down and just do it... and it's great! I did one whole curve, and it's perfect, and I'm so excited!

    Okay, so I know this is silliness, but doesn't it feel just GREAT to conquer a fear?!
    awesome!!!
    I made a Drunkards Path last year for the Hoffman Challenge... scared me to DEATH after I had decided to do it....
    It was EASY!!!

  21. #21
    Super Member NauDeeGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Westland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,341
    Congrats Genevieve!
    I am so happy for you to have conquered the curves. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
    DeeDee

  22. #22
    Senior Member Fabriholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    456
    Way to go! Feels GOOD, doesn't it? And thanks for posting that link. I just looked at it and decided it will help me with a curve I unsuccessfully put together last week. I do appreciate the info.
    Di

  23. #23
    Super Member brookemarie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,750
    Great job!! That is what I need to do on my new project but am procrastinating because I am TERRIFIED! Hope its like some of you said and not as bad as you make yourself think.

  24. #24
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    great!

  25. #25
    Super Member kwiltkrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mapleton, Oregon
    Posts
    5,925
    Blog Entries
    1
    No it's not silly, it's like the first time your child rolls over. A big learning step, congrats. I love curved piecing. Keep trying yourself and you'll know you can do anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.