Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plans for sewing room after I'm gone. >

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Karo View Post
Thanks for this post...so fitting for me right now ! My husband of two years decided that I am disrupting his life
and that I am a bad influence on his recently adopted stray dog, so he is kicking me out; and I really have no where to go and he has spent all my money. (consulted an attorney today) All my quilting supplies had been relegated to the attic and I have spent two days getting it moved into a storage unit; (18 steps up and 18 steps down) my two daughters have no interest in quilting, so I am going to begin getting rid of all the fabrics, for sure.

t I w
so sorry for what you are going thru. Hope all works out for you. You will be happier once you get everything situated. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:02 PM

Gail, I'm really sorry for your loss. How sad to hear that.

Karo, I can't imagine your pain and anger. Your husband must be a miserable man. So sorry you have to deal with this crisis.

I need to let my hubby know that he is free to whatever he wants with my sewing stuff after offering it to my sister, daughter and DILs first. I'm trying not to accumulate more than two dressers full of fabric at a time. I would rather leave behind a few finished quilts than a room full of good intentions. Also remember that what is stylish now might have very limited appeal to the next generation of quilters. And I don't want to burden our kids with mountains of useless stuff the way my parents will be.

Edit: I mean I don't want to own more than two dressers' worth of fabric. The way I wrote it sounded like I will accumulate two dressers FULL at a time. LOL . My DH doesn't understand why I bought another blue when I already have 13 different blues. (To which I ask him why does he have more than six guitars? Seems one acoustic and one electric should be plenty to make music with according to mood, right?)

Last edited by zozee; 08-28-2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: meaning
Old 08-29-2016, 06:26 AM

Default An Alternative

My sewing alter ego knew she was dying and had enough time to specify what she wanted done with her sewing/craft room and all its contents as well as how she wanted it done. She named me as the person to do the project and project it has been.

Machines and associated equipment went to people who were learning to sew and needed the next step in machines. Particularly to students. If there was a cabinet for the machine, that went along. Fabrics and threads went to sewers and quilters in boxes, bags, associated plastic cabinets and book cases. Unfinished quilt tops/quilts went to quilters who would finish them and gift them to charities. Dyes, dying equipment , and so on went to fabric artists. For a few months, patterns and tools which were not machine specific were up for grabs at her guild meetings. Quilting/sewing related books, magazines, etc. went to guild meetings for a while. And whatever was still left went to a charitable thrift store and did double giving: $ for the charity and goodies for a sewer.

After her death, her family helped move the stuff from her home to mine, taking almost a day. My house looked like a very poorly run but very complete store. Because my friend had time to plan, I had pretty much figured out what went where and had made a specific list of to whom. Her family was very helpful with making that list. I contacted the people and places on the list and a good deal of it went promptly.

There are still some UFOs I couldn't part with - one made, I think, by her grandmother. Hand sewn. Not technically perfect. My machine and I put the last few squares on it. (My handwork is ghastly but my sewing machine and I are a decent pairing.) I cannot decide what to do from here. Probably stabilize it, make a loop, and find a wall for it. Not especially beautiful but it meant a great deal to her and, thusly, to me.

Long story and I hope it helps. Losing her was miserable but most days I see something positive she caused to happen in a sewer's life. Bright spot. She and I often "quilt" together. Another bright spot.

Best wishes on creating your own bright spots.