Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plans for sewing room after I'm gone. >

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Karo View Post
Thanks for this post...so fitting for me right now ! My husband of two years decided that I am disrupting his life
and that I am a bad influence on his recently adopted stray dog, so he is kicking me out; and I really have no where to go and he has spent all my money. (consulted an attorney today) All my quilting supplies had been relegated to the attic and I have spent two days getting it moved into a storage unit; (18 steps up and 18 steps down) my two daughters have no interest in quilting, so I am going to begin getting rid of all the fabrics, for sure.

t I w
So sorry you have to deal with this.

Maybe he and the dog are related? The dog being the better of the two?
Old 08-27-2016, 08:50 AM

I have a younger sister that is into sewing, two daughters that are flirting w the idea of taking a class in quilting and 4 granddaughters that are into crafts so possibly they will value my collection of sewing machines, notions and fabric. 😋

Last edited by FabQuilter; 08-27-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:11 AM

Those are really good ideas Tothill! Wrote down your suggestions and will check that out. Thank you.
Yep, the new baggies are an excellent idea that I'd not thought of.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:42 PM

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister. I know it's difficult to decide what to with a loved one's belongings & you don't have much time.

Fortunately, I have never had a very large stash & have only a couple of UFO's. I generally just purchase what I need for the project I am currently working on. Oh, don't get me wrong, I still have plastic bins with scraps & fat quarters but that's about it. DH would probably sell my machine(s) on Ebay or have my DD do it for him. Since she is not a quilter, she probably will not be interested in my scraps.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:25 PM

Very interesting reading what people have written. My mother was a hoarder of fabric and when she died my sister had a huge fabric sale, at the local grange. Well I have since benefited from the left overs from that sale which is a huge amount of fabric. I give things to those that I know will use them. Then I have been working with a 4H club where the kids get to go shop my mothers fabric for there needs. Teaching others to sew and quilt assures me that when I pass I will be able to leave things to our future generation. One grand daughter has already decided what machines she is requesting to get.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:03 PM

I have told my kids to have a large garage sale and have fun doing it laugh eat drink and think of the fun I had collecting all of it. Divide the money and go on vacation Bignan
Old 08-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Yes...as a former 4-H er and leader who taught kids to sew I applaud your vocation...now I love sewing with my 3 Grands...and have 2 chomping at the bit waiting to be taught..

Originally Posted by roserips View Post
Very interesting reading what people have written. My mother was a hoarder of fabric and when she died my sister had a huge fabric sale, at the local grange. Well I have since benefited from the left overs from that sale which is a huge amount of fabric. I give things to those that I know will use them. Then I have been working with a 4H club where the kids get to go shop my mothers fabric for there needs. Teaching others to sew and quilt assures me that when I pass I will be able to leave things to our future generation. One grand daughter has already decided what machines she is requesting to get.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:17 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I need to complete a lot of projects, and create a list of who will get my stuff. I have a lot of hobbies, so there is a lot to get rid of.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
This is heartbreaking. I hope you have a friend or two with shoulders to cry on. And go to a support group, they are a big help to many.
Consider selling some of your items via this quilting board.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:30 PM

So sorry for you loss of your sister. I lost mine a couple of years ago and my bil has not done anything with her things yet. She was a designer and had loads and loads of supplies, fabrics, trims, buttons, notions, etc. He is well aware of the value of items as he totally supported her in her. What is sad is that I heard thru a mutual aquaintance that he would rather sell her items than offer them to his family or friends as he does not want to be reminded of her when he sees anyone who might have her things. I understand that to a point but I would like to have some momentos.

On topic of the thread, I've told my hubby to ask one of my quilting friends about value of my things prior to selling/getting rid of my things. He is not sentimental in those ways so I'm sure my stuff will find new homes in one way or another. He knows the value of my machines so that is a good thing--I don't expect that he will just give to goodwill at least.