Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Playing with my fabric deals >

Playing with my fabric deals

Playing with my fabric deals

Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM

Default Playing with my fabric deals

Did you ever buy a ton of fabric at awesome prices and then come home to play with it? I am doing just that. I am so excited. I went to our local quilt shop today and got such awesome deals. Tons of fabrics from the "color wall" and neat flannels at 50% off, awesome novelty fabrics at 40% off and the cutest baby fabrics for my new grandchildren, at $4.10 a yard. Actually paid for it two different ways so the hubby thinks I behaved myself. Haha, after 36 years I think he knows better. If you leave in or close to northeast Pa, you may want to check out Carolyn's Quilt Shop in Tamaqua. You too could be doing the happy dance right along with me.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 PM

Good for you !!! Fun to just look at all of it and picture what it will / can become !
Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 PM

YES!! I know the feeling!! I've made two MAJOR purchases of fabric. One when I went to the Paducah show and found soooo many really good deals, but the best (but sad) was a sale for a shop that was closing. I bought 77 yards of various fabrics for about $230 which came out less than $3.00/yard.

It was great fun laying them all out on my cutting table, washing it and folding it and petting it .....
Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 PM

I was at a going-out-of-business sale at a local quilt shop a few years ago and the owner asked the customer if she wanted a paper receipt of her purchases (he had to print one out from his computer) and she said NO - that she did not want a "paper trail" that her DH might find. Then, another customer said that she always writes in "WalMart" in her checkbook instead of Quilt Shop so that her DH doesn't see it. Roars of laughter from all of the customers.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 PM

Oh I do know the fun of having the fresh fabrics laying out for me to re-arrange and touch and just admire their beauty and possibilities.
Have Fun!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:41 AM

I do the same thing! Buy and come home and play with it. A few weeks ago I was at Joann's for some pinking shears, 1 piece of fabric and yarn. While at the cutting table I heard the lady say 75% off all remnents! I loaded up on lots of kids fleece, flannel and come cotton!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Yes. Once a year I go to the mennonite shops in the Fingerlakes and buy 80 to 90% of my yearly fabric allowance there. Then I come home and play or as I like to say, roll in it. Like a cat with catnip. After prewashing I often play more, matching it up with other bits in my stash and putting together my own quilt kits. Sometimes when I don't have time to sew or longarm, playing with my fabric helps satisfy the craving.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:00 AM

I can soooo relate! We have an historic farmstead on eastern Long Island. Someone has donated fabric from her stash for them to sell as a way to make a few dollars for preservation, etc. After looking through the assortment in the foyer of the farm house, I bought a bunch. There are fat quarters thru yardage. Some of the dates on selvages are from the late '90s. Average cost is about $2.00 yard. Washing machine is running as we speak!
Old 09-19-2014, 05:12 AM

I know what you mean about new fabric. I am on hiatus from buying anything except to finish a bunch of UFO's. On the bright side--as I finish things up, I open storage tubs that haven't seen the light of day for a while and that is almost like having new fabric.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:28 AM

Reading this thread has helped my DH understand why I have to get my fabric out every once in a while and pet it. (Sort it, match it, find old unfinished projects and get new ideas....etc.....just love on it.) I have three teens and three preteens and with all of their activities I have to chauffeur them to my quilting has been on hold.....fall always gives me the bug to get sewing again!