Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Advise >

Please Advise

Please Advise

Old 09-18-2016, 01:17 PM

It's a lot more fun to be using that pretty piece than leaving it in a box in the closet -- I find I am emotionally rewarded by FINISHING something, and I can't finish it if I don't start it! Yes, using a little bit of a larger piece MAY leave you short in the future, but that's a quilter's life -- I once needed 2"more for a quilt back that I didn't have because I had cut a 6" square out of the corner of a large piece! (I had to go buy 6 1/2 yards new for the back. )
Old 09-18-2016, 01:20 PM

I buy extra of a fabric(s) when making a quilt because sometimes I will make a mistake or decide to add an extra row or column or change the layout.
Once the main part of the top is finished, I use leftover fabric for extra borders or for a pieced back or for the binding. I may even make a cushion, small wall hanging or a fabric gift bag for the quilt to go in.... if I have enough leftovers to do it. I try to use every piece I can. Then I don't feel so guilty about buying fabric for the next quilt. The tiniest pieces that aren't used get cut into 2.5 inch squares. Smaller than that goes into a tub for to be used as filling in cat beds.

Last edited by tapper; 09-18-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by quilting cat View Post
It's a lot more fun to be using that pretty piece than leaving it in a box in the closet -- I find I am emotionally rewarded by FINISHING something, and I can't finish it if I don't start it! Yes, using a little bit of a larger piece MAY leave you short in the future, but that's a quilter's life -- I once needed 2"more for a quilt back that I didn't have because I had cut a 6" square out of the corner of a large piece! (I had to go buy 6 1/2 yards new for the back. )
yes! I had that happen too!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am using my stash as I don't want others to have it after I am gone.
LOL Tartan
Old 09-18-2016, 03:45 PM

I try to buy what I need or going to use for my current project. I rarely buy just to buy or for a "someday" project (although, I do have a stash of 30s repro fabric, but I really do have a project in mind) I look at the unused fabric and I see dollars that I can't spend.

often I look at what is on my shelf and I no longer like it. It looks so dated some of it! LOL!!!

I actually get a kick out of using the last piece in whatever project w/ no remains. My current project will be that way.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by quilting cat View Post
That missing 6" square is the perfect place for the label. Sometimes the label can get "really big".
Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 AM

I've had the same feelings. If you really love it you want to save it for something extra special only you never seem to find anything you want to make that's THAT worthy . So, go ahead and use what you need for a quilt you love. My experience has been that by the time I'm through trying to figure out the other colors I want to use, the quilt pattern, cutting all the pieces, piecing it together, sandwiching it, quilting it and putting borders on I'm rather sick of it (!) and I'm happy to put any remnants back in my stash way down in the pile!!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am using my stash as I don't want others to have it after I am gone.
I love this answer tartan! Made me laugh so hard!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 AM

Better for you to use it than for someone else to buy it for a quarter at your estate sale.

I know it's hard. My worry is OMG, what if I use this fabric in something I hate?

But, in reality, all quilts are beautiful in some way. If the fabric is great, it will save many disasters :-).

Also, if you use it up, it's surprisingly easy to buy another fabric you'll love just as much

Use it!

Last edited by TeresaA; 09-19-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:09 AM

My thought, too! Instead of enjoying it in it's storage place, I'd rather enjoy it on my wall or table or bed!