Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Please, have a math question.

Blog Entries
    I have read and check the pattern of "Warm Wishes" and I did not find any where it tells what size to cut the three "bars" to come up with a six (6) inch finished square. My measurements come up with 2 1/4" x 3" x 2 1/4" to equal a "finished" block of 6 inches. What are you measurements? My main block is a finished 6" block. Thanks Diane

Quote Originally Posted by dmarina
    I have read and check the pattern of "Warm Wishes" and I did not find any where it tells what size to cut the three "bars" to come up with a six (6) inch finished square. My measurements come up with 2 1/4" x 3" x 2 1/4" to equal a "finished" block of 6 inches. What are you measurements? My main block is a finished 6" block. Thanks Diane
    Three bars each 6 1/2 long and 2 1/2 wide-----------for finish of 6" when 3 bars sewn together (and 1/4 all around to finish)

My pattern calls for 2 at 2-1/2" and one at 3" which makes the center bar wider. Nothing wrong with 2-1/2" each. Whatever makes 6-1/2 after sewing three together.

er that may be wrong - do not have the pattern here but do know that middle is 3"! Math challenged - should have waited to see it!

Blog Entries
    GrannieAnnie is right, 6.5 x 2.5. The easiest way to do this math is to take the finished size of the block (6), divide by the number of bars (3) which gives you the finished size of each bar, and know then you have to add a half-inch to each bar for the cut size of each bar.

OOPS!!! That's right if all three bars are the same size, but check these directions and see that the middle one is wider (as mentioned above).
    http://www.ashevillequiltguild.org/A...or%20Linus.pdf

http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_do...DoubleSize.pdf

here is the pattern if anyone wants it.

I have also modified that pattern by cutting and sewing the 3 strips whatever size I want and then cut the square the same size as the finished strips.

Whatever pattern you are trying to follow is off a bit.

If the center bar is supposed to be a bit wider, the the two edge bars must be smaller. Start with the center--if you cut it 3" wide, it will be 2 1/2 wide after seaming. That will leave you needing two side bars at the TOTAL finished width of 3 1/2" OR 1 3/4" each. So add a 1/4 all around and you'll now have two edge pieces cut at 2 1/4 in before seaming.

Still 6 1/2 long each for a finished block of 6"