Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Please confirm my math

Does it sound right that out of a 45"wide fabric, I can get 60 5"x5" squares from 1 yard?

Only if it is truly 45" wide fabric, usually I figure 8 squares per row (or 9 if it is 45", if you only get 8 per row, you will get 7 rows in a yard or 56 squares. Hope this helps.

Assuming it's 45" and that you can cut 5" without waste, you can get 9 squares (for me, I'd get 8). I would conservatively plan on 8, but, yeah, 9 if you're really really precise.

1 yard = 36" = 35" -> 7 squares (assuming it's a full 35". Some of the pieces I get are cut really askew and I lose more than 1").

So really conservatively, I would say 48; conservatively 56; probably not going to happen but theoretically possible 63

bkb
    NO. YOU NEED TO REMOVE SELVAGES AND STRAIGHTEN THE CUT ENDS YOU WILL BE SHORT.

ok, please check my math for this LOL I suck at math but I think I got this right:

I need 60 5"x5" squares. 45"wide fabric adding in a little for error - I should be able to get by with 1.5 yds

I need 15 - 12.5" squares - same width as above, 2 yard should do?

Also, 60 - 6.5 squares, 2 yds should be enough? same width as above.

Thanks for your help!

You should be ok with those yardages. Cut carefully.

Thanks for your help!

You've got good advice from everyone here. You really need to check your width less the selvedge. You'll probably find that you'll just get 8 cuts across. You should get 7 down the length as you have 1" to play with, but do check carefully.

What is it they say - measure 2x (or in my case 3x or 4x) and cut once!

Blog Entries
    Lots of fabric is less than 45" these days, so you need to check that out first.

OK, now we need to know what you're making! :lol:

Cool. Something I can contribute an answer to. 56 squares. Math is more my thing than color and stuff. I have found that some patterns aren't really 45 inches. The 45 inches includes the selvage. Depending on the pattern, how well it is printed etc, I count on 40 inches and anything else is bonus. With that in mind my calculations tell me that you can get 8 squares per row and 7 rows per yard.

I admit I'm very new to quilting, not to sewing and definitely not math.

Well it is a quilt for my BFF..but I can't post any pictures because shes on this site (LovingIzabella).

So I can't say anything else until I am done haha

She knows I am making one for her, and even out of what fabric (the Aqua Terra line from Connecting Threads) and she sort of knows the pattern, but I modified it (hence all the math!)

And thanks for all your help everyone!

Bet LovingIzabella buys you a calculator as a thank you :lol:

Power Poster
    I think the yardages you have listed would be good - you will have a bit left over, but - it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

This allows for shrinkage, maybe a cutting error or two, and a bit of wiggle room for design placement.

Sometimes shifting the cut a bit one way or another makes the fabric pattern work a lot better

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarpumpkin
    Well it is a quilt for my BFF..but I can't post any pictures because shes on this site (LovingIzabella).

So I can't say anything else until I am done haha

She knows I am making one for her, and even out of what fabric (the Aqua Terra line from Connecting Threads) and she sort of knows the pattern, but I modified it (hence all the math!)

And thanks for all your help everyone!
    That is so sweet. I bet you are a BFF to her and that's such a special gift :D

I'm feeling excited! I just ordered my fabric!!!!
    Plus I ordered this book http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfb...y.cfm?ID=44990 for myself and this kit to make for hubby http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfk...ay.cfm?ID=2386

I LOVE Connecting Threads!

I can't tell you the last time I found fabric that was 45" wide. It used to be but now they are mainly 42". It's like the shrinking pound of coffee - they don't raise the price so they shrink the product and hope you won't notice.

Well, not only is Connecting Threads fabric 45"wide but it's also made from combed cotton grown in the USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarpumpkin
    I'm feeling excited! I just ordered my fabric!!!!
    Plus I ordered this book http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfb...y.cfm?ID=44990 for myself and this kit to make for hubby http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfk...ay.cfm?ID=2386

I LOVE Connecting Threads!
    Definitely check you fabric. I bought 5 differnt fabrics for a fur baby quilt, from 5 different mfgs. they were all 42" wide. I thought I could get tow 21" strips across thinking they were going to be 45", boy was I surprised. Just glad I had bought extra fabic. It is kind of like when you buy things in the grocery store the pkg looks the same but when you look at the label instead of 16 oz, you now usually get 14.5 oz.

Banned
    How much usable fabric is in your 45" width. I don't know of many fabrics that are truly 45". Always get more. Even experienced quilters sometime miscut and you don't want to end up with not enough squares.

NEVER assume the 45" is correct. I have had fabric from same line and same company vary from 40" to 46" so you have to measure the width. Then there is the possibility of some shrinkage.

Quote Originally Posted by sdparent
    Only if it is truly 45" wide fabric, usually I figure 8 squares per row (or 9 if it is 45", if you only get 8 per row, you will get 7 rows in a yard or 56 squares. Hope this helps.
    sdparent is right. In total square inches you would, but it depends on how many squares are gained from each row. I always buy more than I need for that very reason.

I ordered extra fabric just in case :)