Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please?? >

Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please??

Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please??

Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please??

I've been around here for a while, so I'm ashamed to admit that I've only made two tops and have yet to actually complete a quilt! I'm afraid to! I really want to get this one finished though. It's a version of a 1600 quilt, so nothing too complicated. Would you mind just making sure I have all the steps down? I'd sure appreciate it!

Ok, I have the top sewn but not the border, so -

1 - square it up, measure and cut border, sew on

2 - do I now lay down the backing, batting and top? Pin together? Then do I trim the batting and backing just a bit larger than the top?

3 - now I quilt it? I'm open for suggestions here... Should I stitch-in-the-ditch? I think I have a walking foot - an attachment with a big white plastic box on it... Never tried using it yet... I'm not even sure how it works (do you understand now why I'm afraid?! Lol!)

4 - after quilting, prepare and attach the binding?

Am I close? I have read tons here, I have MANY books, but I think I'm a visual learner - not much has stuck. Anyway, any reassurance, tips, suggestions you have will be gratefully welcomed!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

I am not sure why you need to trim backing and batting if you are going to put a binding on.
Alo #3 in ditch is ok unless you just want to do more quilting.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 PM

If you've never done it before and you're a visual learner, I'd suggest taking a class at a LQS in your area.

#1) If you've been accurate with cutting and pieceing the body of the quilt, it should already be square and no "squaring up" needed. To measure border take 3 measurements; 1/4 in from both sides and in the middle, average and this is the length of the border (do the long side first), cut, attatch and press; repeat for the opposide direction.

#2) If you'll have this professionally LAQ follow her directions for size of back and batt. If you'll quilt yourself, cut the back 4" larger verticle and horizontal than the front; attach to table (masking tape or clips) so it won't move around when the other layers are layed on top of it. Then cut the batt 2" larger v&h and center it on the back. Center the front on top of the batt. Decide where the stabilizing stitching will be. Safety pin baste avoiding the stabilizing lines by about 1 inch.

#3) Quilt it. Start with stabilizing, usually SID. If that's not enough then add lines to fill in the space so it's quilted about every 2-3". Walking foot very helpful.

#4) Trim

#5) binding

These directions are for first quilts. As you are more confident with your abilities and what quilting is necessary you'll understand how to modify these directions

Last edited by petthefabric; 03-10-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

1 - Be sure to measure first, then cut your borders to measure before sewing on.
2 - Sandwiching can be done in many different ways. I recommend heavily starching the backing before layering, and also spray starching the top before layering. Starching stabilizes the fabric so you have less chance of puckers when machine quilting. I also recommend spray basting because it holds the layers together better than other methods (and is faster). See old threads about how to spray baste.
3 - An easy way to quilt your first quilt would be to use the walking foot but *not* do stitch-in-the-ditch. Just make softly waving lines from one side of the quilt to the other. (SITD can be nerve-wracking and a perfectionist like me never does it well enough. Softly waving lines mean you don't have to be precise and gives a soft look to the quilting.)
4 - Attach binding after quilting.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 PM

Awesome help - thank you so much!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:33 AM
Power Poster

put together a couple small (pot holder/placemat size) quilt sandwiches to practice using your walking foot- get the hang of quilting- don't just start on a quilt you want to finish- it does take some practice & that way you can make sure your tension is right & you like your thread choice. if a class is not locally available there are plenty of tutorials & on line demonstrations you can watch. check here for tutorials - also look through the 'links' for u-tube videos.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
put together a couple small (pot holder/placemat size) quilt sandwiches to practice using your walking foot- get the hang of quilting- don't just start on a quilt you want to finish- it does take some practice & that way you can make sure your tension is right & you like your thread choice. if a class is not locally available there are plenty of tutorials & on line demonstrations you can watch. check here for tutorials - also look through the 'links' for u-tube videos.
I agree!!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 AM

I agree with all except Petthefabric's comment on #3. The amount of spacing between quilting depends on your design but MOSTLY depends on the batting. Every batting has a recommended amount of spacing that you can quilt. Some will say you can quilt 6-8" apart.... Either it will be on the package, or if you buy it off a roll at the LQS, ask them what the distance should be. Now, be brave and go for it!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 AM

you can also use washable school glue to baste the layers together.....very easy, very cheap, no wrinkles and no nasty fumes from spray basting.....there is a tutorial on the board to explain
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 AM

That is a good idea to practice with the walking foot first. I'm so anxious to get this done - but then too scared to start! It's a winter snow quilt for my son - been collecting the fabric for a long time. Figured it was time to get it done - but it's March and our snow is melting - gotta hurry this up! Lol!