Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron question >

Iron question

Iron question

Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 AM

Location: Spring, Texas now but originally from Bayou Blue (Houma) Louisiana
Default Iron question

I am needing to buy a new iron for sewing . My question is what kind of iron is the best? I see the Rowenta irons at Jo Ann's. They are expensive but would like a good iron. I guess I want to know if it is worth it. I like them because they have a small end that would make it easy to do small things. And I have see the steam holes go very close to the end. I also sew baby clothes so that tip would come in handy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at the Effective Comfort, Focus and Pro Master. But if anyone has a different brand that is good I am willing to change my mind.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 AM

I just bought a new iron. I bought the Oliso Pro because is has a 30-minute auto shut off feature. Most irons shut off after about 10 minutes and that was too short a time period for me. Irons are like sewing machines. Everyone has different features they feel are important. No single iron will suit everyone.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 AM

I currently have the Rowenta Professional. I personally love it! There have been many complaints on QB about the Rowentas leaking. I haven't had that issue and my Rowenta has been knocked off my ironing board more times than I can count. I have a cat who uses the ironing board as a spring board! I only got the Rowenta because I got a fantastic deal on it. I found it at Hancock Fabrics on clearance and then they were having a special for 50% off all clearance. I like the weight of it and it just glides over the fabrics. That being said, if and when my Rowenta dies, I will definately look at the Reliable brand of irons. https://www.google.com/search?source...llllll0&aqi=s1 There have been many positive reviews on these irons.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:47 AM

Here is my opinion - I had Rowenta for years, when the last one went that is what I automatically went for. I went through 2 in no time both leaked badly. I figured I wasn't going for a third time so I went with the Reliable V 100 and absolutely love it. Have had it for about 8 months (not long I know) but we do a lot of ironing! I long arm quilt so I iron backs and fronts of all of those - plus I have 2 groups that come over monthly (5 people) and my mom's senior group all comes over to iron and cut, so it gets a lot of use. I have a couple of friends who havd had theirs longer and they are still happy. It does have an auto shut off, but in the directions there is a way to turn that off. Unfortunately ours got thrown out and I haven't figured it out yet.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 AM

I find alot of Rowenta irons at Savers (used )
I bought one for $5 and use it without steam as it leaks.
There is a flaw in them so if you want one anyway go to Savers.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:08 AM

I have a Rowenta Effective. Bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon. It's the best
Rowenta, I've that I have had. I've gone through 3. Some people just go with an inexpensive iron and if it stops working you can buy another one. Rowenta's are expensive to fix and have to be shipped. I love the auto shut off and it heats up rather quickly.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

When my Rowenta died (still under warranty) I had such bad service from their one and ONLY west coast repair site that I refuse to buy another Rowenta. (BTW, the finally repaired iron that the repair site sent back quickly quit working too, and it wasn't a leaking problem - it just didn't turn on.) Now I have the Reliable Digital Velocity iron. It does have the ability to bypass the auto-shutoff, which is occasionally of value, and the steam is better than in any iron I've owned before.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM

There are 2 types of Rowenta irons. The original (and BEST) is the Rowenta made in Germany. The ones that leak and cause problems are the ones made in China. Check where the iron is made before you purchase a Rowenta. Personally, I had one for about 5 or 6 years and finally gave it to my sister because she liked it so much. It was made in Germany and she still has it. It's about 11 or 12 years old now and is still working fine. I replaced that one with the Professional model, also made in Germany and I have had it for at least 5 or 6 years. Still working just fine. I bought a real cheapie iron to take to classes so I have the best of both worlds. It's all in where the Rowenta's are made.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I have a Shark. It is relatively lightweight which is great because I have tendonitis a lot. It does have an automatic shut-off which I don't care for but it does heat up quickly.

According to many people's experience, irons don't seem to last as long as they used to.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Google user reviews on any iron you choose. The Rowenta has page after page of complaints; I imagine that the German-made vs. the Chinese-made is a factor in those complaints.
I gave mine up for a $20 plus purchase from Walmart and am happy. I'll just replace it yearly if I have to at that price.