Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron question

Spring, Texas now but originally from Bayou Blue (Houma) Louisiana
    Blog Entries

Iron question

I am needing to buy a new iron for sewing . My question is what kind of iron is the best? I see the Rowenta irons at Jo Ann's. They are expensive but would like a good iron. I guess I want to know if it is worth it. I like them because they have a small end that would make it easy to do small things. And I have see the steam holes go very close to the end. I also sew baby clothes so that tip would come in handy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at the Effective Comfort, Focus and Pro Master. But if anyone has a different brand that is good I am willing to change my mind.

Thanks

I just bought a new iron. I bought the Oliso Pro because is has a 30-minute auto shut off feature. Most irons shut off after about 10 minutes and that was too short a time period for me. Irons are like sewing machines. Everyone has different features they feel are important. No single iron will suit everyone.

Blog Entries
    I currently have the Rowenta Professional. I personally love it! There have been many complaints on QB about the Rowentas leaking. I haven't had that issue and my Rowenta has been knocked off my ironing board more times than I can count. I have a cat who uses the ironing board as a spring board! I only got the Rowenta because I got a fantastic deal on it. I found it at Hancock Fabrics on clearance and then they were having a special for 50% off all clearance. I like the weight of it and it just glides over the fabrics. That being said, if and when my Rowenta dies, I will definately look at the Reliable brand of irons. https://www.google.com/search?source...llllll0&aqi=s1 There have been many positive reviews on these irons.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Here is my opinion - I had Rowenta for years, when the last one went that is what I automatically went for. I went through 2 in no time both leaked badly. I figured I wasn't going for a third time so I went with the Reliable V 100 and absolutely love it. Have had it for about 8 months (not long I know) but we do a lot of ironing! I long arm quilt so I iron backs and fronts of all of those - plus I have 2 groups that come over monthly (5 people) and my mom's senior group all comes over to iron and cut, so it gets a lot of use. I have a couple of friends who havd had theirs longer and they are still happy. It does have an auto shut off, but in the directions there is a way to turn that off. Unfortunately ours got thrown out and I haven't figured it out yet.

I find alot of Rowenta irons at Savers (used )
    I bought one for $5 and use it without steam as it leaks.
    There is a flaw in them so if you want one anyway go to Savers.

I have a Rowenta Effective. Bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon. It's the best
    Rowenta, I've that I have had. I've gone through 3. Some people just go with an inexpensive iron and if it stops working you can buy another one. Rowenta's are expensive to fix and have to be shipped. I love the auto shut off and it heats up rather quickly.

When my Rowenta died (still under warranty) I had such bad service from their one and ONLY west coast repair site that I refuse to buy another Rowenta. (BTW, the finally repaired iron that the repair site sent back quickly quit working too, and it wasn't a leaking problem - it just didn't turn on.) Now I have the Reliable Digital Velocity iron. It does have the ability to bypass the auto-shutoff, which is occasionally of value, and the steam is better than in any iron I've owned before.

Blog Entries
    There are 2 types of Rowenta irons. The original (and BEST) is the Rowenta made in Germany. The ones that leak and cause problems are the ones made in China. Check where the iron is made before you purchase a Rowenta. Personally, I had one for about 5 or 6 years and finally gave it to my sister because she liked it so much. It was made in Germany and she still has it. It's about 11 or 12 years old now and is still working fine. I replaced that one with the Professional model, also made in Germany and I have had it for at least 5 or 6 years. Still working just fine. I bought a real cheapie iron to take to classes so I have the best of both worlds. It's all in where the Rowenta's are made.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a Shark. It is relatively lightweight which is great because I have tendonitis a lot. It does have an automatic shut-off which I don't care for but it does heat up quickly.

According to many people's experience, irons don't seem to last as long as they used to.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Google user reviews on any iron you choose. The Rowenta has page after page of complaints; I imagine that the German-made vs. the Chinese-made is a factor in those complaints.
    I gave mine up for a $20 plus purchase from Walmart and am happy. I'll just replace it yearly if I have to at that price.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I have a Rowenta Professional made in Germany that I paid full price for at Hancock'sabout 8 years ago. It has been knocked off the ironing table several times by my dogs, I always use it on steam, has never leaked. It has enough steam that I can steam press drapes hanging on their rods at the window! Best iron I have ever owned.

I have a Rowenta (not sure what the model is). I have not had a problem with it leaking. My model does not automatically shut off at all - and that is what I wanted. I got tired of the iron always being off when I went to use it.

I too have a WalMart iron that I have had for a few years now, it's still working and does what I need it to do. It's a Proctor-Silex and when it finally dies I will buy another to replace it.

I just had to replace my Panasonic cordless iron because it was leaking water, and I got another one. The cordless is just great. I ordered it here http://www.abt.com/product/40855/Panasonic-NIL70SR.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Google user reviews on any iron you choose. The Rowenta has page after page of complaints; I imagine that the German-made vs. the Chinese-made is a factor in those complaints.
    I gave mine up for a $20 plus purchase from Walmart and am happy. I'll just replace it yearly if I have to at that price.
    I could not agree more , after having spent over $200.00 on two Rowenta's .. I am more than satisfied with my Walmart Black and Decker. If I really need alot more steam I just mist the fabric. So far by cheap iron has lasted as long as any of my Rowenta's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    My Rowenta was European made (I thought Swiss, not German but am probably wrong)
    The temperature went in less than a year and my LQS couldn't get them to repair it.
    I would never buy another Rowenta, regardless of where it was made.

Blog Entries
    I got one at Walmart for about 7-8 bucks. Works great - light weight - and best of all, when it starts giving me
    trouble I can toss it without any guilt and get another one. I've had it over a year and no problems yet and I do
    a lot of quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
    I just had to replace my Panasonic cordless iron because it was leaking water, and I got another one. The cordless is just great. I ordered it here http://www.abt.com/product/40855/Panasonic-NIL70SR.html
    I just got one of these last week and so far, loving it! Glides over the fabric nicely, no leaks, and best of all...no cord!

Blog Entries
    I gave up on Rowentas and switched to the Reliable 100. It was reliable for one year and stopped working. Had to send it to Canada ($$ shipping both ways). Got it back and within a week it was on its way back to Canada! Ive had it back about a month and so far so good. However since the weather has become so hot, I realized it is a "space heater"! So for the summer I have bought a cheap Black and Decker for $13. Through all this, I have had to have hand surgery and the Reliable has been too heavy for my poor old hands. Hopefully by the Fall I can start using the Reliable again. I really like that the auto off can be bypassed!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    Here is my opinion - I had Rowenta for years, when the last one went that is what I automatically went for. I went through 2 in no time both leaked badly. I figured I wasn't going for a third time so I went with the Reliable V 100 and absolutely love it. Have had it for about 8 months (not long I know) but we do a lot of ironing! I long arm quilt so I iron backs and fronts of all of those - plus I have 2 groups that come over monthly (5 people) and my mom's senior group all comes over to iron and cut, so it gets a lot of use. I have a couple of friends who havd had theirs longer and they are still happy. It does have an auto shut off, but in the directions there is a way to turn that off. Unfortunately ours got thrown out and I haven't figured it out yet.

This is what I have and have been pretty happy with it! To shut off the auto shut-off hold the right button, with the steam emblem on it for a few seconds until it "beeps" Then it won't shut off on you. Cause I didn't read the direction real well, it took me a couple of months to learn how to shut it off, besides unplugging it!!!! It is a heavy iron, which I love (when my shoulders are being nice) Not everyone likes this heavy of an iron.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Black and Decker rated best at Consumer Reports - bought it on Amazon for about $50.00
    Busy in Ohio

I use a vintage Samson iron I found new in the box at the Salvation Army store. It doesn't have steam, weighs a ton, has a fabric cord ( I replaced the original cloth cord with a modern reproduction cloth cord when my dog ate it ) and it gets as hot as nobody's business.The lights dim when I plug it in - it draws some current! I dread the day it dies.

I've posted on here before about the Rowentas I've had...no more in my future! They are cheaply made now and Rowenta doesn't seem to mind that we buy one, it tears up, we send it to them (if under warranty...), they "fix" it, it tears up again, and on and on. I wonder how many customers they really have lost? Also had the same thing happen with a Shark....and all of my irons have been the "professional" type...I guess I'll try the Oliso next time...or wait! Maybe I need to go to ironing 101 class?
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I have a Rowenta that is from Germany and love it but after the last time that the cat knocked it off hte iron board, she is a magnet for an iron, it didnt want to steam quite as well. I was in Joanns one day and they had the Oliso on markdown, why I dont know for they are still on line, for $29.97. With my extra 10% I could not pass it up and I love it. I love the auto lift feature and it really gets hot and does a great job.

Spring, Texas now but originally from Bayou Blue (Houma) Louisiana
    Blog Entries
    Well thanks all. I did go look at reviews of several irons. I don't think there is one out there without bad reviews. I guess I will just have to make up my mind and buy one. Mine is old and leaving brown nasty on my material if I don't watch it. But from what I have read it does not really pay to buy an expensive one. So I think I will go in the middle. All I really want is for it to steam the whole time I am ironing. Mine stop after a bit. I have to set it upright for a minute then it will steam again. So. Wish me luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast