Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-confirm-order-events-me-please-t216066.html)

Naturalmama 03-10-2013 07:26 PM

Can you confirm the order of "events" for me, please??

I've been around here for a while, so I'm ashamed to admit that I've only made two tops and have yet to actually complete a quilt! I'm afraid to! I really want to get this one finished though. It's a version of a 1600 quilt, so nothing too complicated. Would you mind just making sure I have all the steps down? I'd sure appreciate it!

Ok, I have the top sewn but not the border, so -

1 - square it up, measure and cut border, sew on

2 - do I now lay down the backing, batting and top? Pin together? Then do I trim the batting and backing just a bit larger than the top?

3 - now I quilt it? I'm open for suggestions here... Should I stitch-in-the-ditch? I think I have a walking foot - an attachment with a big white plastic box on it... Never tried using it yet... I'm not even sure how it works (do you understand now why I'm afraid?! Lol!)

4 - after quilting, prepare and attach the binding?

Am I close? I have read tons here, I have MANY books, but I think I'm a visual learner - not much has stuck. Anyway, any reassurance, tips, suggestions you have will be gratefully welcomed!

Holice 03-10-2013 07:40 PM

I am not sure why you need to trim backing and batting if you are going to put a binding on.
Alo #3 in ditch is ok unless you just want to do more quilting.

petthefabric 03-10-2013 07:56 PM

If you've never done it before and you're a visual learner, I'd suggest taking a class at a LQS in your area.

#1) If you've been accurate with cutting and pieceing the body of the quilt, it should already be square and no "squaring up" needed. To measure border take 3 measurements; 1/4 in from both sides and in the middle, average and this is the length of the border (do the long side first), cut, attatch and press; repeat for the opposide direction.

#2) If you'll have this professionally LAQ follow her directions for size of back and batt. If you'll quilt yourself, cut the back 4" larger verticle and horizontal than the front; attach to table (masking tape or clips) so it won't move around when the other layers are layed on top of it. Then cut the batt 2" larger v&h and center it on the back. Center the front on top of the batt. Decide where the stabilizing stitching will be. Safety pin baste avoiding the stabilizing lines by about 1 inch.

#3) Quilt it. Start with stabilizing, usually SID. If that's not enough then add lines to fill in the space so it's quilted about every 2-3". Walking foot very helpful.

#4) Trim

#5) binding

These directions are for first quilts. As you are more confident with your abilities and what quilting is necessary you'll understand how to modify these directions

Prism99 03-10-2013 08:01 PM

1 - Be sure to measure first, then cut your borders to measure before sewing on.
2 - Sandwiching can be done in many different ways. I recommend heavily starching the backing before layering, and also spray starching the top before layering. Starching stabilizes the fabric so you have less chance of puckers when machine quilting. I also recommend spray basting because it holds the layers together better than other methods (and is faster). See old threads about how to spray baste.
3 - An easy way to quilt your first quilt would be to use the walking foot but *not* do stitch-in-the-ditch. Just make softly waving lines from one side of the quilt to the other. (SITD can be nerve-wracking and a perfectionist like me never does it well enough. Softly waving lines mean you don't have to be precise and gives a soft look to the quilting.)
4 - Attach binding after quilting.

Naturalmama 03-10-2013 09:22 PM

Awesome help - thank you so much!!!

ckcowl 03-11-2013 02:33 AM

put together a couple small (pot holder/placemat size) quilt sandwiches to practice using your walking foot- get the hang of quilting- don't just start on a quilt you want to finish- it does take some practice & that way you can make sure your tension is right & you like your thread choice. if a class is not locally available there are plenty of tutorials & on line demonstrations you can watch. check here for tutorials - also look through the 'links' for u-tube videos.

mighty 03-11-2013 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5920256)
put together a couple small (pot holder/placemat size) quilt sandwiches to practice using your walking foot- get the hang of quilting- don't just start on a quilt you want to finish- it does take some practice & that way you can make sure your tension is right & you like your thread choice. if a class is not locally available there are plenty of tutorials & on line demonstrations you can watch. check here for tutorials - also look through the 'links' for u-tube videos.

I agree!!!!!

amandasgramma 03-11-2013 07:41 AM

I agree with all except Petthefabric's comment on #3. The amount of spacing between quilting depends on your design but MOSTLY depends on the batting. Every batting has a recommended amount of spacing that you can quilt. Some will say you can quilt 6-8" apart.... Either it will be on the package, or if you buy it off a roll at the LQS, ask them what the distance should be. Now, be brave and go for it!!!!

Buckeye Rose 03-11-2013 08:17 AM

you can also use washable school glue to baste the layers together.....very easy, very cheap, no wrinkles and no nasty fumes from spray basting.....there is a tutorial on the board to explain

Naturalmama 03-11-2013 08:54 AM

That is a good idea to practice with the walking foot first. I'm so anxious to get this done - but then too scared to start! It's a winter snow quilt for my son - been collecting the fabric for a long time. Figured it was time to get it done - but it's March and our snow is melting - gotta hurry this up! Lol!