Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me with this block and off se the triangles. >

Please help me with this block and off se the triangles.

Please help me with this block and off se the triangles.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:29 PM

, +, Your beginning 4 patch needs to be meeting at the center seam seams and squared. You need to square every time you add something. I will be a beautiful block.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Draw your 1/4 inch seam lines along all sides at the tips. This will give you the intersection points where your seams should meet. Put a pin through the intersection on both the blue and tan pieces. This way they will be lined up where they should be.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
Scissor Queen I see what you mean, unfortunately I already cut my triangles. It is a block of the month and I am 2 months behind was trying to get it done before my next meeting. ( which was last night) I made the 1 st block saw that is was wonky so did not sew anymore. Now I am trying to make the next 7 so I can do the next 2 months of blocks. I am determined to catch up. Want the free batting at the end of the year.
I would take it apart and put it together the other way. I'll come out lots straighter.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM

I agree with scissor queen....just straight edge sewing!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:10 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Maybe this graphic will show you the offset that may be causing your problem.
Notice carefully the seam lines indicated by the red (for wrong) and green (for best way) arrows.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails triangle.jpg  
Old 07-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I would do an old thing and draw a 1/4 inch line this will show you exactly where to fit triangles. It also looks as if you have a little stretch on the bias. Do you have some more fabric to cut inside triangE. .
You only need 1/4 inch above point. That seem may need to be a smidgin smaller
I found it very helpful to have the corner seam points marked so I could match them up.

I think I would construct the block into four triangle units, and then put the the triangle units together.
Attached Thumbnails img001.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I found it very helpful to have the corner seam points marked so I could match them up.

I think I would construct the block into four triangle units, and then put the the triangle units together.
I think that's the way she's putting it together and it's coming out wonky. The easiest is to put the four patch together. Then sew the two triangles together that go on the sides of the four patch (#3 and the unmarked one to the right) and add them. Then add all of the #4 triangles. Then sew the #6 to the unmarked one to the right and add that unit to the square. There are no off sets to sew that way.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 AM
Vat

One of the first things you need to do is starch your fabric. Starch it before you cut it out. Starch it stiff. It help with keeping bias from stretching and raveling. I would never attempt that block without starching first. I use Sta-Flo from Walmart mixed half with water.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
Scissor Queen I see what you mean, unfortunately I already cut my triangles. It is a block of the month and I am 2 months behind was trying to get it done before my next meeting. ( which was last night) I made the 1 st block saw that is was wonky so did not sew anymore. Now I am trying to make the next 7 so I can do the next 2 months of blocks. I am determined to catch up. Want the free batting at the end of the year.
A lot of good advice here from Scissor Queen. But perhaps you are not "seeing" the four patch in the center on point. If you start there, as suggested, I think it would be easier. Also, Jan's graphics on matching ends of seams is good. The seam goes exactly where the two triangle pieces cross each other.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

where are you going with the blocks? a class? someone should be able to help you with your blocks. ask questions. and you might start stitching with a scrap of fabric (leaders and enders) so your triangle points don't want to go down into the feed dogs so much. Good luck.