Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me with this block and off se the triangles. >

Please help me with this block and off se the triangles.

Please help me with this block and off se the triangles.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM

I agree with Prism99; it looks like you are getting some bias stretch, I would starch starch starch my fabric before cutting to help avoid this issue. It will make your blocks wonky
Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Since you have already cut your pieces, you will know to starch next time. Smiles.
I do have to agree with SQ, your best bet is to construct your block from the 4patch out, eliminating the need to even make those difficult pieces you are having so much trouble with.
Each time you are making the square larger by adding triangles to the straight edges. This gives you a bigger square with straight edges to work with for the next step, which is adding larger triangles.
The trickiest thing you have to do is sew two triangles together to make the larger triangle on some sections. Try it this way just once and you will have your 7 blocks done in not time at all.
Smiles and hugggggggs,
Old 07-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Offset should result in a 1/4" seam allowance. You need to adjust them a bit. Here is one way to do this...

on each triangle, draw a pencil line on the wrong side (the side you are going to sew on)...draw it 1/4" in from the edges..all the way to the end of each side...you will have a "v" at the sharp ends where the overlap will be, and a "square" at the 90 degree end (bottom left in the lower pic). The lines forming the "Square" a the 90 degree end will tell you where your overlap should be. The lines will meet at that corner and you will have a 1/4" lip/tag sticking out. See where your 1/4" stitches are? That is where the lip/tag should start to stick out. You start your stitching at the inside of the "v" that forms.

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
This is my first attempt at this block and with all the triangles, I know I need to off set them. My block came out all wonky and now I am afraid of getting all the way threw this block just to have it come out just as bad as last time. Do I need to off set the triangles more? I am including pictures of the block and the one triangle. Can you offer me advice? It is only the outer triangles that have extra material and don't lay flat. The inner triangles seem to be ok. Thank you in advance. Beth
Old 07-23-2013, 05:10 PM

Some people use a triangle trimmer template/ruler such as this one:
http://www.frommarti.com/trimmer.shtml .
When you cut the triangle points off before you sew, you then have a perfect flat end to line up with the side of the opposing triangle. No guesswork, and for my money, easier than drawing a line on every triangle. After a while, you will get used to eyeballing where to line them up. I know I did.