Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me decide Wash or Not >

Please help me decide Wash or Not

Please help me decide Wash or Not

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM

I have done a search and read the opinions which seem to be mostly prewash fabric first. I do not wash my fabric first ( read lazy, lazy girl) but also have not had to wash any of my quilts yet either. Could anyone post a picture of their quilt after washing when none of the fabrics were prewashed before piecing the quilt? I am starting a new quilt today and need to decide if I will wash first or not. The quilt I will be starting has applique and embroidery both along with the piecing.

Thanks to anyone that can help me make up my mind ( or a lot of days - find my mind). Please help me decide....
Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM

better safe (washed) than sorry (not washed) that's my motto!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Pam

If you are planning on embroidery, just think how that would look if the fabric shrunk. I would wash it first.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM

Pros and cons to every side. Sorry don't have a picture, but commenting on pictures/comments of whether to or not to. It would just be what would happen to me if I didn't prewash, uneven shrinking, pulling at seams, puckering, and the dreaded, running dye. Yes, I know, most all quilt shop quality fabric doesn't run, I personally would never take that chance. The time and money spent are my motivators even when I don't feel like doing all that prep work. I've had some surprises too with fabric that I was sure wouldn't bleed.......and did. Ruined some other pieces that were in with it. Used 'em for scraps, couldn't tell much after cutting them up. Make lemonade right?

Oh, I'd also be one to wash the quilt as soon as it was done...unless it's a wall hanging, I wouldn't feel the need at that time.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:40 AM

I have NEVER prewashed a piece of fabric?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62502.jpe   attachment-62503.jpe   attachment-62504.jpe  
Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Now mine is a sad tale indeed.
I had been working on a black & white quilt for an unborn grandson...as soon as his ultra sound showed me what he was...I started little bow tie blocks in black & white, and put a red inner border on, with outer border and backing in black.

It was very artistic, and drew his eyes.
It was scrappy, and each block had different fabrics, with most referencing either a hand game (like patty cakes, or itsy bitsy spider, l"m a little tea pot) or a child's song.

It was much loved, and therefore, well used and dirty.
I would lay the infant on that blanket and he would sometimes spit up on it.

So when the time came, his mother threw it in the washing with some other stuff...and the detergent had "color safe" bleach...

Ahhhhh. Those blacks were mostly "over dies" that turned either brown or blue. And some of the scraps came unraveled, even though they were quilted 1/4 from seam.

That grandson is almost 13 now, and still moans over his baby quilt turning brown. He had thought it looked so "graphic", modern and kool, he wanted to hang it on his bedroom wall.

Attached is the before. I am not even sure where it is now.
Still around somewhere. Will ask my daughter, as she is the one here to take care of me today...and see if she knows where it was put so I could replace the pieces that un-raveled they shurnk so bad...it's here somewhere.

Will take photo and post the after later.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62340.jpe  
Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Even Alex Anderson has had a quilt ruined by not washing the fabrics before sewing with them. I wouldn't take the chance. Ironing the washed fabric is not my idea of fun, but it is well worth it.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 AM

OK - most of you are not telling me what I wanted to hear! LOL Thank you though for answering my question.
Justwannaquilt - thank you so much for the pictures. The quilts look wonderful.
Mary Ellen - I am so sorry your quilt changed colors! Thank you for the before picture (very nice quilt) and I will be watching for the after picture.

OK - I will bite the bullet and wash this time!!! Now the questions is - I will be washing small pieces of fabric - cause not convinced I will do this again and do not want washed pieces in with my staff of not washed. Should I hand wash so that the pieces don't get all frayed beyond salvaging - what about in the dryer? Sure do have a lot of questions don't I?

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

I was taught NOT to wash, and have washed every single quilt I've made without problems. Zero, nada, none.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gaigai
I was taught NOT to wash, and have washed every single quilt I've made without problems. Zero, nada, none.
But for those quilts or blocks I've swapped that need to be washed, I put a single drop of hand soap (or Dove Dish Detergent) in a big bowl, fill it with hot, hot water, swish a couple of times, then rinse in cold water from the tap. Iron to dry.

Pre-washing requirement is the number one reason I don't join swaps any more.