Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me decide Wash or Not >

Please help me decide Wash or Not

Please help me decide Wash or Not

Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 PM

It's all in the fabric. I've been disappointed numerous times by buying quilt shop quality at top prices and decided not to pink the edges and have wound up with balls of threads hanging off, losing inches to "square" it and some of it nothing more than a wrinkled mess, just the same as when I bought anything outside a QS, online or in person. I expected the mess and not all frayed either. To me it's a toss up. I wash on hot and dry on perma-press until just damp, iron, fold and stow.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 PM

I would definately wash first since you are doing applique and embroidery. Imagine what it would look like with shrinkage after putting those on!! I shudder!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Wash the fabrics to remove the excess dyes.
Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

I don't wash mine first unless they are colors that are known to run. I have never had a problem.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by bailey
OK - most of you are not telling me what I wanted to hear! LOL Thank you though for answering my question.
Justwannaquilt - thank you so much for the pictures. The quilts look wonderful.
Mary Ellen - I am so sorry your quilt changed colors! Thank you for the before picture (very nice quilt) and I will be watching for the after picture.

OK - I will bite the bullet and wash this time!!! Now the questions is - I will be washing small pieces of fabric - cause not convinced I will do this again and do not want washed pieces in with my staff of not washed. Should I hand wash so that the pieces don't get all frayed beyond salvaging - what about in the dryer? Sure do have a lot of questions don't I?

Thanks everyone.
there is no way i would wash small pieces of fabrics..
i don't prewash fabrics.
(except batiks,flannels)

but i do use a color catcher sheet when i wash the quilt when finished. no quilt leaves this house with outwashing it first.
i have had a red varigated thread bleed..it must of been old thread..i have no idea what brand it was either..it was loaned to me for doing a baby quilt..4 years ago..when i didn't wash the quilt after i made it. so that is why i wash before i give..
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 AM

I always wash my mat'l before I cut and I wash the quilt after I have finished because I like to wash my markings off and any dirt or oils that may have been on my hands (even though I try to wash everytime before I start quilting). Just moving the hoop everytime will transfer oil that occurs naturally on your skin to the quilt.
Sandy
Old 04-17-2010, 05:10 AM

I personally don't prewash. I used to but I like the old fashioned wrinkly look. I do soak the batiks though.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:14 AM

The only fabric I've ever pre-washed was flannel - to try and reduce the lint.
I've had no problems (knock on wood) - I always wash the completed quilt before I gift it.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:21 AM

I don't prewash. Also I'm lazy. I do wash all quilts I give away with Synthropol (to set colors) and Color Grabbers (added precaution) together. I haven't had any problems yet. I even mix washed and not washed as I quilt from scraps, my own and other peoples.

Donation quilt for auction
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63399[/ATTACH]

Gift for Joan who houses my son while at BVT
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63400[/ATTACH]

For SIL's 60th BDay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63401[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63394.jpe   attachment-63395.jpe   attachment-63396.jpe  
Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 AM

Puck116 - Thank you for the pictures. Beautiful quilts - everyone of them.
Well, I did prewash for the quilt I am starting. Small little pieces - just enough for this quilt. I don't think the fabric shrinks - it just unravels in the washer and dryer! LOL I measured the pieces before I washed them to see how much they would shrink - only one pieced changed and it grew!!!! Guess I measured that one wrong. LOL Starched the heck out of them after so they are sorta like new again. Don't know why I suddenly was undecided about prewashing or not since I never have prewashed and never thought about it before. Not sure I will do it again though. This quilt will be thrown into the washer as soon as it is finished - if I see a difference I will prewash again if not - back to my old habit of not prewashing. I really do like working with new unwashed fabrics.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions.