Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: points on stars...

Blog Entries
    I need some help with points on stars. My points on a quilted piece can look wonderful--until I stitch them.
    Can anyone give me some tips on how to keep from loosing the points on star?
    Thanks,
    Mariah.

careful cutting, careful sewing (1/4") , careful pressing and LOTS of practice, and they still won't always come out right.

Blog Entries
    Thanks; it is comforting to know that someone else has problems with not loosing the points!
    It would seem that if the point is not so long as to be into the seam it wouldn't be lost. That is easier said than done for me.
    Mariah.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    careful cutting, careful sewing (1/4") , careful pressing and LOTS of practice, and they still won't always come out right.
    Thank you for saying that. After years of points and some still not coming out ight I thought it was just me

I sew the blocks together on the side where the point is so that I can see it.

Also, you can place a pin through where the point of the star is and where it meets the next piece. Just straight through and not as if you are pinning two pieces together. this is to check that you actually have enough seam allowance or need to adjust it a bit on one of the pieces. Then if you feel the need do regular pinning either side of the point. You can also mark that point that you originally pinned through so you know where to sew.

ali

Blog Entries
    Great suggestions! I am going to make a sample with some scraps and try out your suggestions.
    Thanks, Mariah

Banned
    mark your stitching line3 especialky at the point.