Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Points on stars >

Points on stars

Points on stars

Old 12-03-2010, 06:10 PM

I was just looking at Riversongs beautiful table toppers. Her points are perfect. I just made my first wallhanging with a large star and had a terrible time getting my points to come out perfect. I ripped that thing out so many times I was ready to throw it in the trash until my friend came and fixed it for me. What is the secret for getting points to come out right? I'm sure missing something.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

I hate to say it but perfect measurements and 1/4 seam allowances. also on most bias cuts will stretch while being sewn . so Press with some starch before cutting them out. I am always on the heavy side of the starching realm. most people use pins I detest them.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

When I started sewing scant 1/4" seams the points got better.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 PM

I starch the snot out of my fabric before I cut. and then i starch while I iron also. you just have to be careful when you do that to let the starch dry completely so you don't warp the fabric when you iron or press. I also found that when you make a point if you are at the third line, so you don't loose the point you sew just above the intersection. hope this helps. its that scant 1/4". it does make a difference
Old 12-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Cyn

I usually pin but am using starch now :)
Old 12-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Try and sew your seams with the stars points on the top. You can see where the stitches are, and you can tell that you aren't sewing over them :wink:

I have also just basted over these sections first, and then peek to see if I have cut them off, and then make an adjustment if needed :D:D:D
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I starch the snot out of my fabric before I cut. and then i starch while I iron also. you just have to be careful when you do that to let the starch dry completely so you don't warp the fabric when you iron or press. I also found that when you make a point if you are at the third line, so you don't loose the point you sew just above the intersection. hope this helps. its that scant 1/4". it does make a difference
Repeat after me: "starch is my friend, starch is my friend.."
That and one little trick. When you're sewing across the points, remember to allow for the turn of fabric taking a bit of space. Sew about a hair or two from the points. Then when you open the seam and press it, the point will be sharp and not cut off.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 PM

"Repeat after me: "starch is my friend, starch is my friend.."
That and one little trick. When you're sewing across the points, remember to allow for the turn of fabric taking a bit of space. Sew about a hair or two from the points. Then when you open the seam and press it, the point will be sharp and not cut off."

My grandma taught me that one!! She was a perfectionist. That said I'm not a perfectionist, I do admire those that have perfect points!! LOL!!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 AM

Sorry that you had that problem but you made me laugh with the trash remark.

Better luck next time.

Someone said pin through the point-sew two stitches before and after the point and check it. That way you don't have the whole seam to redo. If it is good finish the seam.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanks everyone, I learned a lot. Now I have to put it into the points. You are all such great teachers I'm sure glad I found this group. :-)