Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Polar Fleece Input Please

I'm doing an experiment. Last year I pieced a wallhanging/small lap quilt with winter fabric and snowmen. Got the brainstorm to use polar fleece only to serve as backing and batting. Has any one else done this? Any suggestions or comments? Started handquilting on it yesterday and it looks and feels very nice.

I use pieces of polar fleece in my donation animal quilts as batting.

Blog Entries
    i've seen just that a lot on here. i did it once myself, but was a beginner and i didn't do a good job.

I don't like sewing with the stuff

Blog Entries
    Okay dumb question. How does Polar Fleece differ from regular Fleece? I have used regular fleece for batting and for backing (not at the same time) and it worked out great. BrendaK

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
    I'm doing an experiment. Last year I pieced a wallhanging/small lap quilt with winter fabric and snowmen. Got the brainstorm to use polar fleece only to serve as backing and batting. Has any one else done this? Any suggestions or comments? Started handquilting on it yesterday and it looks and feels very nice.
    Works quite well as long as the fleece is good quality. Cheap stuff stretches out of whack too easily.

I would not use regular fleece to back a wall hanging because of the stretch, but I think polar fleece would work well. I believe Polar fleece is denser than regular fleece -- there is less stretch. If it is a lap quilt, no problem -- I have done it several times for DMIL (she is in a wheelchair)