Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Poll: Machines Winding Bobbin from Needle Thread >

Poll: Machines Winding Bobbin from Needle Thread

Poll: Machines Winding Bobbin from Needle Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Poll: Machines Winding Bobbin from Needle Thread

I thought it would be interesting to know which sewing machines can wind a bobbin without unthreading the machine. In other words, the thread coming from the needle can be used (routing under a metal presser foot) to wind the bobbin in place.

I have a Viking Platinum 750 and it performs this operation beautifully. I almost never wind a bobbin directly from a spool anymore. It is sooooo convenient and is my favorite feature on this machine. I'm almost certain that the entire Viking Platinum line can do this.

Please list your machine and whether it has this capability. Do you use it? Like it, love it or hate it? Lol
Old 02-14-2014, 07:14 AM

I have the same machine and agree totally. The only time I wind from the spool is when I'm changing thread colors for whatever reason. My favorite feature on the machine, though, is the auto tension adjustment with the needle up/down function next in line.

Happy sewing!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Viking ruby and Viking Hclass both wind without unthreading.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 AM

My Singer 758 Touch and Sew can only wind a bobbin through a threaded machine. The bobbins are top-load. I think all of the touch and sews are like that.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

i have several machines without this feature. i can wind a bobbin without rethreading, though. i take the spool off of the spindle and set it aside with the thread still threaded through the machine. then i put a different spool on the spindle threaded to the empty bobbin and wind away. when done, i put the original spool back on the spindle winding up the excess that was needed to move it away. if the first part of the threading is shared, that is undone first, threaded with bobbin thread and then the original put back.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:05 AM

I have 3 Vikings and I love the bobbin winding feature. It drives me crazy when I use my other machines. Boy we get spoiled
Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 AM

Well that's an option I've never even dreamed of...needless to say, I don't have it!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

My Bernina 440QE uses a separate motor to wind a bobbin, so you can actually wind a bobbin while you are sewing or embroidering, but from a second spool or cone of thread, of course. I have never tried to wind a bobbin using the same thread that is going through the needle - not sure I would want to. Usually I wind bobbins from a different spool than the one I'm using for the top thread anyway. But the machine is so easy to thread - and the needle threader works so well - I don't feel a need to avoid re-threading.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM

I have the Janome 6600 and it has a separate motor so it can operate at the same time as sewing, but you would need to use a different spool of thread.

I wonder if the "from the needle" bobbin winder is specific to Viking?? Cool feature.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Well, I've learned something new today. I've never had a machine that would do that, but I've never really seen the problem with unthreading the machine either. I'm pretty sure I could thread my machine blindfolded by now.