Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
polyester invisible thread >

polyester invisible thread

polyester invisible thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:28 AM

I have tried hard to like all kinds of invisible thread. I found the pre-wound bobbins from superior to be superior. But I hate the feel of it and it is so plastic-y (Duh Sue!). Put it in the sunshine and you see it reflect off.

The poly is a lot more pliable but if it pokes up at the end of piece of quilting, I can still feel it. Should I be burying it in the quilt?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Banned

Yes, it could be a safety issue. I am told that if there are snippets of the thread left on the quilt pets, if they have access to the quilt could ingest and have a problem. The same could happen to children. Some years ago I was making crib quilts for a magazine and told myself that since the quilts were made for samples I did not need to worry about loose invisible thread. One time I was in a motel on the bedspread and realized I was wrapping a loose thread around my finger to the point it was almost cutting the circulation. I then realized the same thing could happen to a child if a long loose thread was left in a crib quilt. We may think there are no threads but remember it is invisible thread in the quilt. The danger is too great to take a chance.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 AM

One time I was in a motel on the bedspread and realized I was wrapping a loose thread around my finger to the point it was almost cutting the circulation. I then realized the same thing could happen to a child if a long loose thread was left in a crib quilt
This danger exists with regular thread too? Should children not have quilts?

(The child I know who actually had to go to the hospital due to this issue actually had a piece of her mother's hair wrap around her toe. So the danger is real- I just don't see how it relates to invisible thread vs. any thing long and stringy.)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by squiggie View Post
I have used nylon invisible thread for charity quilts to hospice or childrens homes. I read of the polyester and wanted to give it a try. Had trouble with it tangleing in the machine and breaking. I like the look it looks
and it goes a long way. What am I doing wrong or is it not worth it? I do not use it on baby quilts only for older children or adults.
I just put the monopoly invisible thread on an older Kenmore, and it worked great. I wasn't sure if the older Kenmore would handle it.

Serita