Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
polyster quilt >

polyster quilt

polyster quilt

Old 01-12-2015, 01:23 PM

Default polyster quilt

I bought a polyster quilt at Goodwill the other day, I'm not sure how to quilt it. any Suggestions it is green with polka dots and white
Old 01-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Would help if you could post a picture. If the batting isn't too thick to fit thru your DSM, you might want to tie it. I never used much polyester batting after the development of cotton batting but you just quilt it the same. The top may shift with the poly batting so make sure you have secured the three layers.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM

My Mother made a lap quilt using polyesters years ago which I just love & keep in the car.
She did not use batting, but just a backing & used fancy machine stitches between the blocks, which
were just overlapping each other, not seamed, since the polyesters do not ravel.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by theifner View Post
I bought a polyster quilt at Goodwill the other day, I'm not sure how to quilt it. any Suggestions it is green with polka dots and white
i have machine quilted several polyester quilts on my old Necchi. the largest was a queen size. they are heavy to begin with, and adding batt & backing doesn't make them any lighter! i started out using plain muslin, at the quilt makers request. the last one of hers i finished for her just a few years ago, on same old necchi. i have tried cross hatch, and in the ditch & outline inside each block patch. the stretchyness of the fabric doesn't lend itself to curves, swirls or any fancy quilt work. tho i may try one last top she gave me for me using spraybast which helped me conquer fmq on domestic machine quilting flannel quilts for grand daughters. all the polyester quilts turned out great. especially the fronts, occassional tuck in back easing over the difficult heavy seam lines. this is slow work. those seam lines are very thick, i basically hand turn the fly wheel when i come to seams & block intersections. and my quilter friend who was making these tops is 91 years young last summer. she started teaching herself to make quilts in the 90's using any fabric at hand "like mamma done". she uses all quilting cotton now & has the most incredible ability of matching fabric colors/patterns and just making up quilt patterns as well as making & using well known quilt block patterns.

forgot to mention, i hand baste w thread on 3-4" grids. i learned how to quilt out of books and this is how i learned to baste out of a book by joe cunningham & his partner at the time whose name i can't remember right now.

Last edited by roguequilter; 01-12-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:47 PM

My grandmother made several double knit poly quilts, she tied all hers. There was a problem with stretching when she tried to use her machine. I have two of them. I have cut the tie's and replaced the backs and batting. The tops wear like iron. They are heavy and warm.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

I have made quilts - years ago from polyester blend fabric, used for clothing back in the day. It does not fade like cotton and wears like iron. Back then I only hand quilted and had very good luck with it. I have bunches and gobs of it and if I live long enough I plan to make more and I will machine quilt them. I am not talking about poly knit fabric, just dress weight.
I mostly use polyester batting and like it better than W&N. Warmth without the weight.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM

My MIL made a quilt out of polyester clothing in the early 70's and it looks as though she made it yesterday. It weighs a TON! When we used it I had to take it to the laundromat to wash it in one of the big machines and I had to hang it over the fence to dry it. Even in the heat of the New Mexico sun it took over a day to dry. She machine quilted it in tiny little stitches and it has held together nicely. It brings back good memories.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:26 AM

I'm thinking that one of these would make a great survival/utility quilt to keep in the vehicle!
Old 01-15-2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
I'm thinking that one of these would make a great survival/utility quilt to keep in the vehicle!
That, and as quilts specifically for the homeless! Makes me wonder what ever happened to all of my gran's double-knit pants when she passed away. She would have totally approved of them all being sewn into charity quilts. Can you even buy new double-knit fabric anymore? (I don't sew garments so I never wander into that section!)
Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 AM

You may want to check out using a different SM needle, specifically designed for poly fabrics. Polyester will dull your needle fast.

~ C.