Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Posture

amh
    Try different things till you find what is best for your body. There are great suggestions above.

I personally use a Gypsy Sit Upon on a chair that is normal height, but my favorite is a drafting chair (taller than the normal) as I find I my arms are reaching downward and it avoids the slouch, and consequently to pain. Take exercise and stretching breaks. If you are one of those who gets that knot in the neck, try what I call the chicken stretch -- sit straight up and stick your chin out forward (much like a chicken walking moves its head) about 10 times, then turn your head only to the right and do it again, then to the left and do it again. You look pretty weird, but that knot seems to magically go away. I'm sure your Chiropractor will laugh at you, but will probably show you how to do it. They may not call it the chicken stretch though!!!

I never sew for long as it is too hard on my back, but when at a retreat I also wear a heat belt, which seems to keep things somewhat in check.

Stretch stretch stretch when sewing or sitting.

I sure like the idea of the swoper. Have never seen one, but I think that would work well for me.

amh

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    On purpose I never have things within reach. I have to get up and walk to get to the cutting table, to the iron, etc. If I am sewing things, blocks one after the other, I will only take a few to the sewing machine and leave the others across the room. I call it getting exercise, moving my muscles.
    Ditto that. My husband said "why don't you set the room up this way so you don't have to move around so much" ... because I NEED to move around so much.

I also don't sew very many patterns where I can chain stitch a lot - so I'm up and over to the ironing board quite often.

The worst project I ever worked on was a jelly roll quilt where you sew them all together in one string, then sew the string together - and so on. I had to keep getting up and stretching.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I try not to sit for time, regardless of what I'm doing. If I'm stitching, I get up and media joints - the pressing panel is on the other part of the space. I also try to create sure I take a crack whenever or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2