Thread: Posture
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 03:20 AM
jennifer30

Originally Posted by jennifer30 View Post
When you sit on a sewing machine for a long time, you must maintain a good sitting posture; otherwise, it presses an extra pressure on your spine and causes pain. You can break every alternating 30-40 minutes, do some back sketches, use a good ergonomic chair, etc. Some doctor recommend to use a posture corrector belt to better posture; you can try it. One more important point when you are free from work, you also have to maintain good posture in every activities such as sitting, sleeping, walking, driving, cooking, etc. Thank you.
Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I am in love with the sewing machines that don't use a foot pedal. They are so much better than using a foot pedal. I can sew with my feet up on a footrest now! I don't get shoulder pain at all now, because I can sit properly..I have also used it with a tray table while in a recliner..(for piecing..large projects won't work like that). It really didn't take more than a few minutes to adapt to sewing without the foot pedal. In addition to the benefits for posture, my FMQ has improved greatly..you set the speed you're comfortable with, so all you have to do is move your hands..works great. Many of the major manufacturers are making them now, and they're great.
Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Having had 4 spinal surgeries, and sustained a lot of back injuries, I can tell you that posture is very important. I was also told that the best thing you can do for your posture is to take that break, every hour, get up and walk around a little bit -- I've never timed how long I stay away from my chair, but I took longer than just getting a drink of water or going to the bathroom -- long enough so that you can relax those tense muscles. My orthopedic physician also told me this, but my boss at the time, said, yes, you can get up and walk around your desk, then turn around, sit down and get back to work --scrooge!
There is no permanent solution or remedy for good posture. You should change your lifestyle and try to maintain a good posture in every activities.