Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Potholder Innards Question~Recycling/Upcycle~In honor of Earth Day >

Potholder Innards Question~Recycling/Upcycle~In honor of Earth Day

Potholder Innards Question~Recycling/Upcycle~In honor of Earth Day

Old 04-20-2015, 04:17 PM

Default Potholder Innards Question~Recycling/Upcycle~In honor of Earth Day

OK---so I've read many posts, blogs etc. what everybody usually uses---insulbrite and cotton batting, denim fabric or recycled denim jeans, felted wool sweaters, old towels/washcloths, etc. I know about the hazards of using poly batting and poly/cotton fabric as well, so am not going down that path.

What I can't seem to find is:

1. whether using a 100% cotton sweater for the inside would work. I have some cotton sweaters that are not good enough to go to the thrift store as the cuffs are worn, but the rest of the sweater is in good shape. I was thinking of taking it apart, perhaps ironing on some stabilizer, serge the edges, and then cut squares and use that for at least one of the inside layers or only layer. I have only found people who have used felted wool sweaters but I can't think of a reason why this also wouldn't work. Just a simple pullover without cables, etc. What are your thoughts?

2. What about using layers of cotton knit on the inside? I have some from jumpers, dresses, etc., that are a hefty knit that I think would be fine for the inside in layers. Again, is there a reason why this couldn't be used?

3. And finally, I have a cotton jacquard rug(again no bumps or cables, that is cotton, but it's about ready for the trash. But, I think cleaned and cut up into squares and used for the innards would provide a great insulation for a potholder.

These potholders are going to be given away-- not to sell. If I ever would sell potholders, I would use the insulbrite and cotton batting route.

Very interested in everybody's thoughts.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

I would use those things.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 PM

Give it try, sounds like a good time for a little experimenting. If you do. let us know what you find out.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:36 PM

I wouldn't put a fusible stabilizer on the back of them though, as it would have glue
Old 04-20-2015, 04:48 PM

Sounds like a good way to recycle those items. Can you make one and try it before giving it away?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:48 PM

That's a great idea. One layer of Insulbrite doesn't work so well, anyway, and I bet all the things you listed would. A teacher at our guild suggested old mattress pads, but I thought, how unsanitary - not sure they could be washed well enough. Then my husband's grandmother's potholder wore through, and guess what she used for batting!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

give the cotton a try, see how it goes. I use two layers of insulabrite, so maybe a heavy sweater will do one layer. go for it and show and tell on it please.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 PM

I know my mom used part of an old mattress pad and pieces of old sheets to recover our ironing board. Don't see why any of your choices wouldn't work for hot pads. Would have to experiment to figure out how many thicknesses of any combination would be required to protect your hand properly. I know it's four layers of my dish towel. Lol!
Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 PM

I have used sweatshirts and t-shirts along with one layer of insulbrite. That combo seems perfect to me. However, I am going to change and use one layer of batting and one layer of t-shirting. I am having second thoughts about insulbrite. It has little threads of metal in it, so if someone were to put a pot holder with that stuff in it, into a microwave,wouldn't it cause arcing? Definitely not good for the microwave. It would be rare, but it could happen.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM

My sister crochets potholders for me, so I would think a sweater should work.