Old 04-20-2015, 04:17 PM
ansew

Default Potholder Innards Question~Recycling/Upcycle~In honor of Earth Day

OK---so I've read many posts, blogs etc. what everybody usually uses---insulbrite and cotton batting, denim fabric or recycled denim jeans, felted wool sweaters, old towels/washcloths, etc. I know about the hazards of using poly batting and poly/cotton fabric as well, so am not going down that path.

What I can't seem to find is:

1. whether using a 100% cotton sweater for the inside would work. I have some cotton sweaters that are not good enough to go to the thrift store as the cuffs are worn, but the rest of the sweater is in good shape. I was thinking of taking it apart, perhaps ironing on some stabilizer, serge the edges, and then cut squares and use that for at least one of the inside layers or only layer. I have only found people who have used felted wool sweaters but I can't think of a reason why this also wouldn't work. Just a simple pullover without cables, etc. What are your thoughts?

2. What about using layers of cotton knit on the inside? I have some from jumpers, dresses, etc., that are a hefty knit that I think would be fine for the inside in layers. Again, is there a reason why this couldn't be used?

3. And finally, I have a cotton jacquard rug(again no bumps or cables, that is cotton, but it's about ready for the trash. But, I think cleaned and cut up into squares and used for the innards would provide a great insulation for a potholder.

These potholders are going to be given away-- not to sell. If I ever would sell potholders, I would use the insulbrite and cotton batting route.

Very interested in everybody's thoughts.