Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: POTHOLDERS-what do you use for the middle?

Insulbrite & 1 layer of warm and natural, and crosshatch for the quilting

I found that one layer of Insulbrite is just not quite adequate so I've done them up with two. I would imagine several layers of flannel might work too?

Blog Entries
    i make hot pads and potholders a lot. i use batting or fleece batting along with insulbrite as the inside material and 100% cotton fabric for the shell fabrics. i would not use poly synthetic fabrics for the shell as they are highly flammable.

i purchased insulbrite for $2.47/yd at hobby lobby. it was much more expensive at joann's and hancocks. i heat test them before i send as gifts.

there are so many free online patterns for potholders and hot pads. have fun with making these. they make great gifts.

Greetings all. I use a pre-quilted teflon fabric. Its a little pricey but not only does it protect hands but when used on table has heat reflective properties so can keep foods warmer for some time. It is completely washable. Peace, Robert.

http://www.nancysfabrics.com

Blog Entries
    And can you get this pre-quilted teflon fabric at places like Joann's or Walmart?

Greetings. I have never seen it at Walmarts. Joann doesn't sell the quilted Teflon but you can buy just the Teflon fabric un-quilted from Joann's. I have done this and just used batting and have also quilted the Teflon fabric with some batting and muslin backing. I use a simple criss-cross or diamond quilting pattern. The Teflon fabric by its self usually runs around $6.99-$7.99 at Joann's. Hope this helps. I buy my quilted Teflon fabric direct from a manufacturer but if you don't have access to buy your own this way, making your own is not that hard. Just takes a little time. Peace, Robert.

www.nancysfabrics.com

I use insulbrite

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7