Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Practicing FMQ >

Practicing FMQ

Practicing FMQ

Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 AM

I can't move forward on some quilt projects until I can buy more fabric. So last night I dug out my first attempt at a quilt top (using cheap ugly fabrics, so if it didn't work out, I wouldn't be upset!) and cut it into squares and decided to give FMQ a try.

First one, total disaster. I kept fighting with the tension on my machine because of loops on the backside and then I googled and found it wasn't the tension, it was me and I either need to slow my hands down or speed the machine up.

So the second one was a noticable improvement. But still nothing I would ever want to give someone as a gift! Finally after more googling read a thing from Leah Day saying she never drops the feed dogs for fmq. Set the stitch length to 0, yes, but don't drop the dogs.

I tried that for the 3rd and there was a HUGE difference. The stitches looked soooo much nicer. Not sure why, but it made a huge improvement.

I still don't like the way it looks though. all my stitches look way too tiny and it just doesn't look pretty at all. I guess I will have to work on going faster with the foot peddle because moving my hands slower just makes these ugly tiny stitches. Ah well. I think for the next 3 projects which are gifts, I will just do straight line quilting with the walking foot while I keep working on this.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 AM

I totally understand what you are going through! I have classified my FMQ pretty much as a disaster area. LOL. But, I continue to try and hopefully some day it will turn out even halfway decent. I wish you the best of luck and no matter have fun creating and learning! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:15 AM

I FMQ a small lap quilt for my MIL and told her that I would be practicing on it....she didn't mind at all~ She has lovely pansy quilt with ALOT of crazy quilting on it but she loves it....it takes a long time to be good at FMQ and I don't know if I will ever get good at it but I keep practicing and I am much better! It helps to use gloves that grip the fabric and a supreme slider so the fabric glides easier....
Old 09-02-2011, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure there are some 'naturals' out there who are successful early on, but for most of us it takes LOTS of practice. I read an article that said to make up a bunch of test sandwiches, and practice FMQ 1/2 and hour each day and at the end of a month you should be good to go. You can reuse the sandwiches by putting a piece of fbric on top of a used one. I think practicing a bit each day for along period is better than marathon sessions. Builds muscle memory.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 AM

I was told put stictch length to 0 and peddle to meddle and go. It did work better for me but again I am not the best FMQ. Nothing I would try and sell forsure . Have great day and enjoy practicing.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

See if you can get your hands on Diane Gaudynski's book "Guide to Machine Quilting" She has tons of helpful advice.

Teeny tiny stitches mean you are moving the sandwich too slow for the machine speed. There is no reason why you can't go a tad slower in speed or try moving the sandwich a bit faster.

I found my "natural" abilities lie in Longarming. I never was very good at FMQ with my Bernina. Maybe if I had one with a stitch regulator. I still prefer moving the machine over the sandwich then moving the sandwich under the machine.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

yep, fairly fast food pedal speed and slower quilt movement.not too show though or you will have tiny stitches. good luck again!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:22 AM

I tend to like a smaller stitch when FMQ'ng, I don't like big long stitches, I know they're supposed to be like 1/8" long, but mine are probably half that size and that's good for me.

Good luck, you'll get it.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...-quilting.html
http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...-quilting.html
Old 09-02-2011, 08:55 AM

I set my machine to free motion mode, lower the feed dogs and also lower the speed. This is working for me.
That peddle to the metal did not work for me.