Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-cut or Yardage? >

Pre-cut or Yardage?

Pre-cut or Yardage?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

There are rulers that help you cut a straight line. You should get what you like and can afford. Good luck and be sure to show us your finished project. BrendaK
Old 07-28-2016, 11:51 AM

I buy yardage in batiks but precuts in print collections that I like. With precuts you get the entire line. I know I can make one quilt with the precuts. Though it is more expensive.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:28 PM

If price is your only consideration, then yardage is definitely the way to go.
However, with that said, if you are wanting to do the scrappy look, or want all of a particular fabric line, or (as in your case) you are a beginning, and may not have all the tools for successful strip-cutting, then precuts could be the better choice. I saw mention of fat quarters in addition to precuts, and those are a good way to experiment with scrappy-type of quilts.
Often, you can find yardage for sale at yard sales, estate sales, and thrift stores. You just have to get a little lucky in those cases.

For me personally, I have SO MUCH FABRIC that I won't be buying anymore new for awhile... I was once a beginner quilter like you - but that was 32 years ago. I've lost count of how many quilts I've made.

And by the way, just in case no one has warned you... both the fabric and the quilting are addictive. My sewing room would definitely be proof of that!!
Old 07-28-2016, 01:02 PM

Fat quarters are a good option when you're starting out and don't have a stash. You can get a much bigger variety of fabric if you buy quarter yards, and fat quarters are more versatile than 1/4 yards cut across the width. They're easy to work with and are perfect if you're planning on making scrappy quilts.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:11 PM

Another vote here for Connecting Threads. I love the fact their pre-cuts are the same price as yardage. I often buy a precut set for a certain line then a couple of one yard (or more) pieces from the same line. That way I don't have to worry about matching borders and such. And their fabrics are good quality at very reasonable prices. I just wish they kept their fabric lines for longer.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 PM

I am another who buys both precuts and yardage.

I have bought Daily Deals from Missouri Star, FQ bundles from MassDrop and Craftsy.

I wash yardage and do not wash precuts and have used them in the same quilt or project without issue.

I like the variety in precuts, I have made several quilts with Jelly Rolls from the Jelly Roll Race to one that looks like a big gift with a bow. I do not have photos of them.

I have used a jelly roll and charm pack to make a square in square quilt, plus yardage from the line for the borders.

I like the quick and easy patterns Missouri Star features each week using precuts.

I am fairly accurate in my cutting and have an Acquilt Go cutter.

The only tip I can share and it took me awhile to learn this, is if you think you will need yardage to complete a quilt (borders, binding, sashing etc), buy it when you buy the precut, otherwise you may be out of luck.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:53 PM

Another way to increase your fabric stash if you are just starting out is to shop your fabric store of local quilt shop's remnants bin--you can often get excellent prices on some very nice fabrics and also increase the variety of the fabrics in your stash that way.

rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 07-28-2016, 06:26 PM

I agree buying yardage is the least expensive, but sometimes I want an assortment of fabrics and then the precuts offer such. So depends
Old 07-28-2016, 06:31 PM

I feel I get more for my money using yardage rather than pre-cut fabric.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:55 PM

I like the convenience of precuts, but don't like them because some of the pieces are wonky and smaller than they are supposed to be meaning I am having to adjust my seam allowance accordingly. I like yardage since if I can usually compensate for a wonky cut of for the fabric being off grain. That said, I mostly have yardage (and wayyyyy too much).

When I made my I spy quilts, I used 6.5" blocks and I bought 1/3 yard pieces since I wanted to have a strip to use in the piano key border and binding.