Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-cut or Yardage? >

Pre-cut or Yardage?

Pre-cut or Yardage?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:04 PM

I buy both. My favorite type of quilts are the "I Spy" - especially for children. So when I look at fabric I look to see how it repeats the subject and how I would use it. There are some fabrics that I want yardage because I want to use it for background, sashing, and binding. Fat quarters are nice when I need a variety, same with jelly rolls. For me I need to pre-wash so I don't care for too small of pre-cuts, so I have the Accuquilt Go to cut my own.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:32 AM

I buy both...it depends on the project at hand. If you buy precuts for a particular project, you generally end up using most of it and (thankfully) will have less left over to add to your scrap bin. Sometimes patterns instruct you to buy too much yardage and you end up with a growing scrap bin.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 AM

Yep, yardage is much cheaper!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:04 AM

Yes, in the long run, yardage is less expensive; however, there is so much variety in a charm pack or a layer cake. Many of the quilts I do call for using a layer cake square which can be cut in half or quartered. I like the variety, so I tend to use them. I'm such a "crazy" quilter that I don't even mind using the leftovers from a quilt top to piece the backing and incorporate many of the scraps I have on hand.

It seems that this discussion is like many of them in the quilting world: do what is most comfortable for you, but use the best materials you can afford.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:07 AM

I like to prewash because of allergies/asthma. Can't do that with precut so. I've used precuts, but no matter the manufacturer, there are always a few cuts that are short or curved. So,it all depends. The best thing is to buy what you need for each project according to how much time you have to make it. Have fun!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Yardage is generally cheaper than pre-cuts - you're not paying someone else to cut them for you Also, pre-cuts are sometimes cut badly, regardless of the manufacturer.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:23 AM

I prefer yardage, but have recently picked up a few pre-cuts and I do mostly scrappy quilts, so I love the fat quarters, but often pick up more than one depending on how much I like it. I do only shop for fat quarters when they're on sale because otherwise you can pay $3.50 each or more for them & I'm on a strict budget. If you want speed & you're cutting lots of 2-1/2" squares, a jelly roll will save time & is easy to work with. It's really whatever suits your needs, but definitely shop the sales! I used to do the Fab Shop Hop which got me connected with lots of fabric shops online & I get some really nice sales sometimes! Good luck!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:27 AM

I prefer yardage. I have purchased several charm packs, but ended up not using many of the fabrics because I just didn’t like them. My LQS doesn’t sell FQ’s, just 1/2 yds, but the other day one nice clerk there cut 6” strips for me-which was just what I wanted. Yes, I like scrappy...
Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 AM

I agree its a better deal to buy yardage... BUT what I have found is that if I want to use several of the prints in a collection I get the precuts because they already have the mix and I don't have to buy 10 different fabrics
Old 07-29-2016, 07:54 AM
mac

I usually buy fabric by the yard because it is cheaper, especially if it is on sale.

However, lately, I have been buying batiks in a roll because I can get a variety of different batiks in one roll and since batik fabric is so expensive, I can get a variety of fabrics for just a little bit more money.

As for fat quarters, I find that around here they are usually more expensive than the fabric by the yard. So, unless, I can't find what I am looking for in yardage, and it is just the perfect piece that I need, I will pass on fat quarters.