Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: PREPARE YOURSELF MENTALLY FOR SEWING!

Blog Entries
    This was taken from the Singer Sewing Machine Manual - 1949

I think this is very, very important for all of us quilters to remember and take this very seriously to heart.

"Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates. Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do them first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on. If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy sewing as you should."

Happy New Year! Edie

Blog Entries
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    I got the best laugh out of this...startled my grandsons too :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    If they could only see me at my machine :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I thought this was normal. I always keep my lipstick in my apron pocket just in case and I would never consider sewing without the beds being made up first. HA!

Okay, I just want to know just how many of us quilters quilt in our jammies. Dishes done house work done, lipstick on and hair in place. Yeah right.

I am so glad that isn't in my manual. lol

Blog Entries
    If my husband came home and found me decked out, he would probably hire a PI to see if I'm having an affair.
    I'm as attractive as I will ever be.
    Sinks are made for dirty dishes.
    Thinking about sewing/quilting takes my mind off anything else to do with housework.
    No powders in the sewing room and no facial war paint - too hard to wash out.
    I have two dogs that bark loudly and deter visitors from coming unannounced.
    Husband knows better than to interfere with my sewing enjoyment.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    It kills me to know women actually thought like this. I was raised by a very independent grandmother. She ruled the roost and thought all women should use a cast iron skillet upside a man's head several times a year. LOL.

Blog Entries
    LOL im lucky if I comb my hair before I sew....and I too have a dog that barks to keep visitors away!!!

Dog tried to lick the juice from a dripping lil' smokie wrapped in bacon and smothered in brown sugar off my shirt. I will change it before sewing, just so I don't get anything on the quilt top. I guess I'll look in the mirror to see if the hair is messy.

My house is nice and clean, I am a mess. No make up or contacts today. tomorrow I will make the effort, meeting sister for breakfast and then to Joann's to spend gift cards.

Put on a clean dress?!? I don't own a dress!! LOL

What a crack up... I've been known to sew in my pyjamas maybe once or three times. ;-)

And as for the dishes.... that's the kid's job not mine, that's why I had them, so I didn't have to do the dishes (oh, and so the dog had someone to play with ;-) )

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast