Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prepping fabric >

Prepping fabric

Prepping fabric

Old 09-08-2015, 10:09 AM

I don't pre-wash but do starch so if the fabric is a bleeder it should bleed in my starch bucket as I dip my fabrics and hang them to dry over the sink. It sure saves the stress later when you go to throw it into the wash only to find it bled all over your beautiful quilt. If I find a bleeder I take it to my bathroom sink on the same floor and run very hot water and Dawn dish soap, the blue original one. Let it set for awhile while I go to finish starching the rest of the fabrics. Come back, rinse a couple times to see if the dye has set yet, rinse it a couple more times till I'm confident its stopped bleeding then take it to my starch bucket and finish it up. I figure between the hot water, Dawn dish soap and hot iron, if its not set now it never will be. I still use a color catcher in the wash the 1st time I wash it just to be sure.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:24 AM

Throw it in the washing, throw it in the dryer. Just like what will happen when it is used. I do not make show quilts, (no show would accept me LOL) only ones I want used and loved. All have written directions to wash and dry. One thing I do, that others may not, after washing and drying, I hang my quilts over the banister/balcony for 24 hours just to make sure it is good and dry. LOL usually not a problem in AZ, just hang-overs from living in the the humidity of the South.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 AM

I do not prewash unless I don't trust the fabric. If my fabric is consistent quality, I don't worry. I must have a special fabric fairy hovering over me, because I have never had a fabric bleed issue. I like the cuddly look of my quilts after I've completed and then washed them.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 PM

I wash all fabric before using in warm or cold water, then I put it in the dryer for 10 minutes and iron it. Comes out well.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

Depends on the quilt I'm going to make, and to an extent the fabric choices. I prewash if the fabrics are deeply saturated colors, batiks, hand dyes that might bleed - if the fabrics smell or feel funky- or, if they seem to have a kind of loose weave that needs to be tightened up/ might shrink a lot. I launder with a normal ccycle, regular detergent, warm water ; dry in a regular hot dryer, regular cycle. I remove the fabrics before they are completely dry and iron out the wrinkles, finish drying them. If I'm making a quilt for a child, baby, young people who may use and launder it fairly frequently I launder the finished quilt exactly how I think the new owner will. ( most often toss in washer, regular settings , wash, dry take out & use) I've found very few people will use/ enjoy a quilt if it has ( lots of hassle) care instructions included with it. If you want it to be used, loved make it to hold up. Every completed quilt I make is laundered when finished it is the final step after binding. It has not kept me from winning plenty of ribbons, awards in shows ( even 4 viewer choice/ best of show awards were laundered, washer/ dryer when finished- before entry)
The only ones I don't launder are framed wall hangings I don't expect to ever be laundered.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

I have never felt the need to wash something that is not dirty. I know I will have to wash the finished quilts because the cats get on them. When pressing/ironing, I have a spray bottle with a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of water. That takes out the most stubborn wrinkles.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 PM

This is a bit off topic but, ube quilting I am on the hunt for a clothes line for my small back yard in hopes of ridding some fabrics of the musty smell by hanging them outside for days. Your line looks perfect for what I'm searching for. Do you recall where or what the name of your line is? Thanks for any help you can give.
Jeri aka oldtisme