Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing open >

Pressing open

Pressing open

Old 01-01-2014, 02:50 PM

I do both. Generally, I press to a side, since it helps lock blocks together. On the other hand, when sewing my binding strips together, I press the seam open.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
I try to think about how the piece needs to be quilted. If it's to be SITD, I press to one side. Otherwise, I like the way pressing open gives me a flatter top.
I agree. I press open a lot because you can use a "real"1/4" seam allowance versus a "scant". If an open seam can hold our bodies in tight clothes, I think it is strong enough to hold a quilt. I do use a shorter stitch length of about 2 instead of 2.5.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 PM

For me it depends on the pattern...i mostly press open on complex patterns because i seem to be able to make them fit and lay better......but when butting seams makes the project easier - i press to the side that makes that work.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I do a mixture of both. However when pressing open I like using a Strip Stick http://thestripstick.com/buy_products
We saw this at a QS and one of my friends bought one -so as soon as we got home we took it apart. All it is a piece of half round (I have found my local Home Depot carries this but Lowes didn't) covered with a piece of batting and fabric. so you can guess our next stop was to get some. When making them I actually used Fabric/Batting/Fabric so that the stick went in the little sleeve easier. It really does help
Quiltstringz, I am wanting to get this from HD. How wide is the 1/2 round? It looks really neat and I thank you for posting the info!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM
DJ

I find it difficult to press a 1/4" seam open. I prefer to press to the side unless the pattern requires otherwise (like if seams can't be pressed to lock).
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 AM

I am a press open gal! I love the flatter block. I recently gave the press to one side a try.. as I had lots of 4 patches to make and thought it would be faster... it was faster but I did not like the finished results. So much for walking on that side.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM

I press to one side, unless the pattern dictates otherwise. For one, I don't like the idea that any batting could work its way thru the seam, and then those little 1/4" seams are so small it is a pain to press them open.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM

yes, when I join some of the sections. Not always, but more often than any other kind of piecing.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM

I press open open only when I have a lot of pieces coming together at a point. I did just finish reading Judi Madsen's new book Quilting Wide Open Spaces and she emphasizes that if you are stitching in the ditch to not have your seams pressed open - she almost always SID. I know this is another one of those personal issues (do you prewash, use steam, etc.) but I really do think that if you are going to SID that you really don't want your seams open. Of course you could always stitch one or two threads to either side of the ditch and be ok.

BTW if you haven't seen her book Quilting Wide Open Spaces it is amazing and there are actually 4 cute patterns in the book. I am not associated with her but am a HUGE FAN and WANTTA BE
Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Depends on the patten, determines open seams or pressed to side..